Wowza Community

Dynamic load balancing vs Edge

Hello,

I am trying to configure load-balancing solution and need clarification on some questions. There is some confusion on Edge/Origin vs Dynamic load balancing. I want to keep encoding capabilities of Wowza streaming server to a minimum.

I am trying to configure the following scenario.

Encoder > Wowza Origin Server that is ingesting UDP feed and creating addition ABR streams for the live channels > Edge Server 1 and Edge Server 2 > Dynamic load balancing server > Client

1. Is this scenario a valid scenario?

2. Do I need Edge servers in this scenario or should I convert Edge servers to Origin servers and load balance them through dynamic load balancer?

3. If the above described scenario is valid and when there is need to scale, do I add more edge servers or origin servers?

4. Are there any known issues with load balancer in large deployments?

Thanks in advance

Arvinder

Hello,

1. It is a valid scenario and common.

2. If you only have a few source streams but a large audience, adding edge servers to handle the playback load is advised.

3. Edge servers to increase capacity for client playback, Origin servers to increase capacity for source streams/transcoding.

4. Typically not. For more information on the load balancer please see the following Load Balancer User Guide.

Best regards,

Andrew