Wowza Community

RTSP from FFmpeg, which Pts and Dts ?

Hello,

Does everyboby know which pts and dts values do i need to send to wowza server when using FFmpeg for a 50i video.

Thanks.

Hello,

Does everyboby know which pts and dts values do i need to send to wowza server when using FFmpeg for a 50i video.

Thanks.

Hi,

The PTS (Presentation Time Stamp) or DTS (Decode Time Stamp) is the time stamp of the packet being received and these will be different for each packet in the stream so will not be a fixed value.

If you’re asking if Wowza Streaming Engine uses PTS or DTS, it will use PTS by default and can be configured to look for DTS instead. These are used for aligning multiple renditions with an adaptive bitrate stream.

More information can be found below from the article How to debug encoder multi-bitrate keyframe alignment

For multi-bitrate to work properly, all keyframes that represent a single multi-bitrate presentation should have keyframes with identical timecode values. By default, the Wowza media server aligns streams on PTS values. Some encoders are aligned on DTS values. If you find that the DTS values are aligned but the PTS values are not aligned, you can add the following property to the LiveStreamPacketizer/Properties container in Application.xml to align on DTS values:

<Property>
	<Name>chunkBreakOnPTS</Name>
	<Value>false</Value>
	<Type>Boolean</Type>
</Property>

Regards,

Jason