Wowza Community

VLC Streaming to Wowza Remote Streaming Engine

Hi,

I’m trying to do a VLC live streaming from a computer to another remote server with Wowza Streaming Engine installed.

The only info available that I’ve found is about streaming locally via UDP…

Is it possible to do that?

Hi,

The following article shows How to use VLC as a live-stream encoder with Wowza Media Server (MPEG-TS)

Regards,

Andy_E

Hello Andy! Im Lucio from Argentina, i have a Wowza engine licenced and im trying to do exactly what Fred ask. The article that you link, only shows how to create a live app and how to recieve (via UDP) the flow from VLC, but don´t show how to configure VLC to publish, and thats the most hard part of it… Is any documentation were i can verify the info outgoing from VLC? Thanks so much!

Hello Lucio from Argentina, nice to have you here in our forums with us. Let me see what I can find for you.

This article explains how to configure the VideoLAN VLC media player @Diego Mascarenhas to stream live or on-demand RTSP/RTP streams over TCP, also called RTSP/RTP interleaved, from Wowza Streaming Engine. While HTTP streaming offers more features, RTSP/RTP streaming may work better when streaming through a firewall or router that doesn’t have UDP streaming available.

VLC media player can also play multicast MPEG-TS streams that are wrapped in RTP. To do so, use the Stream Targets feature in Wowza Streaming Engine software. For more information, see Use MPEG-TS to distribute live streams from Wowza Streaming Engine.

1. The url examples for live or VOD streams and how to enter it in VLC player.

2. GitHub sample implementations we’ve provided are fully functional and can be used as a starting point for your own custom implementations, which can then be played back using a player such as VLC Player

Any additional info on stream health or connection analytics will need to be researched through VLC and their site if you are not able to see what you need in the Engine logs.

will try this options, thanks so much! i find hard to understand the VLC commands to outgoing the stream, it has no error pop up or anything that allows to know if the target are inserted correctly.

BTW, i am trying to send the stream from VLC to Wowza engine. Not backwards.

Yes, one of the docs I linked to in my original answer is the only documentation we have on sending a stream from VLC to Engine