Wowza Community

Custom EXT-X-MEDIA tag without in hls playlist

Hi,

I want to create hls playlist with alternate rendition which hasn’t uri attribute in EXT-X-MEDIA tag

I use code

MediaListRendition mediaListRendition = new MediaListRendition();
WMSProperties properties = mediaListRendition.getProperties(true);
properties.setProperty(HTTPStreamerCupertinoIndexPlaylist.SMIL_TAGS_GROUP_ID, "aac");
properties.setProperty(HTTPStreamerCupertinoIndexPlaylist.SMIL_TAGS_NAME, "English");
properties.setProperty(HTTPStreamerCupertinoIndexPlaylist.SMIL_TAGS_LANGUAGE, "eng");
properties.setProperty(HTTPStreamerCupertinoIndexPlaylist.SMIL_TAGS_URI, "");
properties.setProperty(HTTPStreamerCupertinoIndexPlaylist.SMIL_TAGS_TAG, HTTPStreamerCupertinoIndexPlaylist.SMIL_TAG_TYPE_MEDIA);
properties.setProperty(HTTPStreamerCupertinoIndexPlaylist.SMIL_TAGS_DEFAULT, HTTPStreamerCupertinoIndexPlaylist.SMIL_VALUE_YES);
properties.setProperty(HTTPStreamerCupertinoIndexPlaylist.SMIL_TAGS_AUTOSELECT, HTTPStreamerCupertinoIndexPlaylist.SMIL_VALUE_YES);
mediaListSegment.addRendition(mediaListRendition);

to create something like this

#EXT-X-MEDIA:TYPE=AUDIO,GROUP-ID="aac",LANGUAGE="eng",NAME="English",DEFAULT=YES,AUTOSELECT=YES

But in result I have

#EXT-X-MEDIA:TYPE=AUDIO,GROUP-ID="aac",LANGUAGE="eng",NAME="English",DEFAULT=YES,AUTOSELECT=YES,URI="chunklist_b0.m3u8"

If I replace empty string with something else

properties.setProperty(HTTPStreamerCupertinoIndexPlaylist.SMIL_TAGS_URI, "NONEMPTYSTRING");

it appears in result

#EXT-X-MEDIA:TYPE=AUDIO,GROUP-ID="aac",LANGUAGE="eng",NAME="English",DEFAULT=YES,AUTOSELECT=YES,URI="NONEMPTYSTRING"

Any ideas?

Hi,

Unfortunately, this is not currently supported. While the URI attribute in the EXT-X-MEDIA is optional [according to spec, it is only if the audio track exists in all video renditions. In the Wowza implementation, we are specifying alternative audio tracks that don’t exist in the video renditions, which requires the URI attribute.

I will send it on as an enhancement request to our Product Manager, though. Do keep an eye on our Software Updates page to see when the feature is implemented. Note that there are no guarantees to a time frame.

Michelle

Do you have any update? I have similar problem, this feature is require for multi language audio-only hls treaming. Correct hls format is:

#EXTM3U
#EXT-X-MEDIA:TYPE=AUDIO,GROUP-ID="stereo",LANGUAGE="en",NAME="A"
#EXT-X-MEDIA:TYPE=AUDIO,GROUP-ID="stereo",LANGUAGE="de",NAME="B",URI="B.m3u8"
#EXT-X-STREAM-INF:BANDWIDTH=831270,CODECS="mp4a.40.2",AUDIO="stereo"
A.m3u8

This format is supported in many hls player https://github.com/video-dev/hls.js/pull/2773