Wowza Community

Server side playlist for HLS Stream

We are using AMFDataList for creating a server side playlist for multiple files for RTMP. However that can not be used to server hls. I have checked smil file creation for multiple files as mentioned here https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-schedule-streaming-with-wowza-streaming-engine-streampublisher. The article only mentions RTMP , is it supposed to work for hls as well ? If yes how can I create a sequential playlist for hls/m3u8?

Anyone ?

Hi Jason

Really appreciate your response. Just to be clear my requirement is to generate a playlist that plays multiple mp4 files in sequence all having same bitrate. This are not live but vod files to be served as hls streams. Can you confirm that it will work for hls with vod files content ?

Hi,

Yes the purpose of the StreamPublisher module is to re-stream VOD files.

Note that the purpose of this module is to create a pseudo-live stream experience and so publishes the content to a “live” application rather than a “vod” one, and therefore has the same restrictions and features as any other Wowza live stream. You can play back the created RTMP stream just as would any other.

Regards,

Paul

Hello,

The module you mentioned can be used for other protocols as long as those protocols are set up to be used in teh application you are configuring this module for.

In your ScheduledStreams.smil you are simply putting the “Stream Name” as it is seen in the “Incoming streams” or in a file format.

The client or viewer is only tuning into the Stream Name set in the schedule:

“You can play the streams by configuring a player as you would for any other live stream. Use the stream name that’s set in the SMIL file.”

I hope this answers your questions.

Regards,

Jason Hatchett