Wowza Community

How much current bandwidth do I need?

Hello.

I own a little embed adult site.

Now I would like to host the embed videos in my own server.

The problem is that I do not know how much current bandwidth do I need for a good streaming.

So far I have around 1000 embed videos. I already download them all (ready to be uploaded to server) and they are 200GB of files. Bitrate is around 700 Kpbs. Sometime is higher sometimes is lower. Usually videos is 30 minutes. Sometime are shorter sometime longer.

I have around 300,000 monthly visits, and about 60-70 concurrent users online. Sometime 100-110, but never more than that.

Can someone please help me? I need this information for understand if this is a good idea… Of course, if it’s a good idea I will need a service like yours…

Thank you

With a 1g nic (20% overhead accounted for.) = 800mbs throughput, which is 800 1 mbs streams, or 1600 500kbs streams.

You can use this formula for calculating:

number of users * stream bitrate + 20% IP overhead = total server bandwidth

You will have to test your actual server/network using the load test tool, or monitoring utilization in production. You must be properly tuned. And to achieve maximum levels you may have to tune your server and network in other ways outside Wowza.

Best,

Salvadore

Hi,

Yes that should be fine.

Note that there are a number of online streaming calculators which can help with this type of calculation (google for "streaming bandwidth calculator) - e.g. this one.

Regards,

Paul

With a 1g nic (20% overhead accounted for.) = 800mbs throughput, which is 800 1 mbs streams, or 1600 500kbs streams.

You can use this formula for calculating:

number of users * stream bitrate + 20% IP overhead = total server bandwidth

You will have to test your actual server/network using the load test tool, or monitoring utilization in production. You must be properly tuned. And to achieve maximum levels you may have to tune your server and network in other ways outside Wowza.

Best,

Salvadore

Thank you.

Please note at the moment I don’t have a server yet, but just an hosting. Since so far I embed videos, I do not need much size yet.

So, using that fomula:

110 (maximum peak of users, I never exceed this number) * 700 (average Kbps bitrate) + 20% = 92400

So should I be fine with 100/250 Mbps?

I will try to do the other optimization of course