Wowza Community

Wowza Heap over 10GB?

I know the recommendation is that we do not exceed 10 GB allocated to Wowza in production due to GC concerns. I am running an g2.8xlarge box on AWS which has 64 GB of RAM, so I believe that I can go above 10.

This weekend I saw the heap get filled up and it caused performance issues. I run a small LAMP stack on this same server to take care of larger file moves into AWS, and it looks like that may have been the subject of a random attack (meaning not directed specifically at us). At this same time, I saw:

• heap memory up to 80%+

• network out exceeding 2 Gbps

So my question is this, can I set the heap memory higher and what should I do to limit the GC hit that is referenced? Is there somewhere I can trade the two off to get to a place where my Wowza server can make more effective use of the 64 GB of ram this machine has available.

Thanks,

Bob

Hi

The limitation isn’t as relevant as it was now that we recommend using the G1 (Garbage First) collector. With the older garbage collection (Concurrent collector) this was a real problem, however this can now be increased beyond 10 GB when using the G1 (Garbage First) collector.

To do this, you will need to edit the [Wowza-Install]/conf/Tune.xml file using a text editor.

A restart of Wowza Streaming Engine is required for the changes to take effect.

Regards,

Andy_E