Wowza Community

How to add #EXT-X-ENDLIST

Hello,

I have a problem how to find when the live stream ends.

According to the HLS specification the client would stop requesting more index files when the #EXT-X-ENDLIST occurs in chunklist_xxxxxxx.m3u8.

But when I stop streaming to Wowza the #EXT-X-ENDLIST tag doesn’t appear. The client still make requests for index files and the server return the same index file.

I cannot find any useful information how can I add this tag.

Is there any way to added it with java api?

Maybe to intercept requests to chunklist_xxxxxxx.m3u8 file and to add the tag if there is no stream with this name?

Thanks in advance

same problem and waiting for answer

Hi,

This feature is on our product development roadmap. I can’t say when this will be made available but rest assured it is being looked at.

Regards,

Paul

Any news about this? I think it is a huge miss.

Any news about this? I think it is a huge miss.

Hi,

We recently added EXT-X-ENDLIST capability for Akamai HLS Stream Targets. Having the capability of adding this to live HLS streams is on our roadmap, but I can’t give any timescales for when this will be available.

Regards,

Paul

Ok, but. Is it theoretically implementable through a custom module at least?

And what about the EXT-X-DISCONTINUITY tag?

Hi,

It is not currently possible to add the ENDLIST tag via the API. You can force adding the DISCONTINUITY tag. To do so via the API, use the following method in LiveStreamPacketizerCupertinoChunk to force insertion of discontinuity into Apple HLS (cupertino) live stream

– forceDiscontinuity(boolean value): value control if discontinuity is shown in chunklist for this chunk (false will clear any discontinuities due to chunk duration or change in codecs)

You can trick Wowza to send EXT-X-ENDLIST, you will need to listen to Unpublish events and then you will need to make the HLS packetizer send EXT-X-ENDLIST tag in the last chunk.

Just take a look in IMediaStreamActionNotify3 and ILiveStreamPacketizerActionNotify interfaces.

Could you elaborate on wow that would work?

As far as I can see the onUnpublish event in IMediaStreamActionNotify3 happens after any type of event inside ILiveStreamPacketizerActionNotify / IHTTPStreamerCupertinoLivePacketizerDataHandler2. Since the last partial chunk is never created in Wowza, you would not have time to tell the ILiveStreamPacketizerActionNotify that the stream was unpublished?

Hi there,

This issue is still happening with Wowza 4.7. Is this fix ever going to come out?

We have a multi-webcam live environment and due to this missing tag, we have a ton of issues on the video player side. Can you kindly provide a sample code snippet that I can use to add this functionality myself, please?

Thank you.

It’s almost 1 year later. Any updates on whether this is possible now?

This is currently in our enhancement request at this time, although no specific timeline yet.

Any update on when this will be fixed? Thanks!

Never mind. This was fixed in 4.6.0 see the release notes for that version.

• Added support to the Akamai HLS stream target for adding the EXT-X-ENDLIST tag to the end of the media playlist when the source times out or disconnects. This is enabled by adding “cupertino.addEndListOnDisconnect”:“true” to the map file entry (default is false)

Yes, EXT-X-ENDLIST will be added before the last chunk.