Wowza Community

Wowza streaming engine 4.4.0 high memory usage, stops working

Hi,

We have a Wowza streaming engine Wowza Streaming Engine 4 Monthly Edition 4.4.0, installed on amazon EC2 server. There are about 30 streams that are working at any given moment, the HLS streams are cached by Level3 CDN, and delivered to the players via the CDN.

The issue is, that after restart it slowly starts to increase memory usage (), and in a few hours “hogs” all the available memory on the server, up until the moment where the Wowza basically stops working and packetizing streams.

Has anybody ever encountered this issue? What can we do to solve it?

Thanks,

Alex

Hello,

Which Stream Target type are you using? There was an memory issue resolved in 4.5.0.01 related to HTTP Push Publishing/Stream Targets. You may want to try updating to this version and see if your memory issues persist.

Upgrading Wowza Streaming Engine Installation

Best regards,

Andrew

Ok, thanks, I upgraded to 4.5, we’ll se how it goes.

Hello,

Was this issue resolved? Are you using transcoder using transparent overlays?

Regards,

JasonT

We are facing the same problem with WMS 4.5.0.01 on Ubuntu 14.04LTS server. We are broadcasting just 2 streams and use transcoder for them. Java Heap is always reported as ok, less than 1GB (with max limit 10GB). However, in a 4-8 hours of working all 32GB of RAM and 16GB of swap partition are full and the Linux kernel kills Java (all Wowza services) with calling oom-killer.

Java is tuned as production. Java 64bits version 1.8.0_77. As we see the speed of eating memory depends on connections, more connections- more quickly RAM is consumed. RAM monitoring graph shows linear growing of RAM usage.

Garbage collector set as: G1 (Garbage First) collector (recommended).

Restarting of Wowza server immediately decreases RAM usage to normal level. Restarting of application does not help at all.

A few hours ago I have uninstalled latest WMS update and went back to 4.5.0 (build 18676). Now the sutuation is normal. We’ll see.

I also created support ticket.

I am having the same issue with ubuntu 18.04 server 4.7.7