Wowza Community

Multiple On demand files combined as HLS playlist

I am looking to create an OD playlist for HLS stream using smil file. I checked following document, however it shows that I need to have a scheduled time for it. Is it possible to create the file without the scheduld time so it plays the stream at any time as an on demand/vod stream ?

https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-loop-a-pre-roll-until-a-live-stream-starts-loopuntillive

Hi,

Yes the simplest thing is just to create your streamschedule.smil file with a start date in the past. It will then start immediately playing the files in the playlist in sequence. Do note that it’s not really the same as an on-demand VOD stream. The publisher streams the files as a pseudo-live stream, so all clients see the same content and there is no way to skip through the stream like a VOD asset, though you can apply “live” extensions such as nDVR. This article is the one related to how to do this. The article you linked to is more about using the StreamPublisher to provide a loop stream to show when the real live stream is not active.

Regards,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Really appreciate your reply on this. Our requirement is to have so that its like a true OD stream. So that all of clients can play stream just like VOD for smil file playlist created from multiple mp4 VOD files. Is there any way so that it doesn’t behave like a live stream ?

If not is there any other alternative that can achieve this behavior ?

Thanks

Hi,

There isn’t a way to provide VOD like playback with the method I described. I would think this would be quite straightforward via client side playlists though? For example, using a playlist as shown here with JWPlayer. The playlist entries would simply be links to Wowza VOD files.

Regards,

Paul