Wowza Community

Best setting for application with RTMP ingest and CDN caching

Hi,

up until not long ago, we had a live configuration that was going very well for us., which was as follows:

Encoder RTMP => RTMP CDN => Wowza re-streaming and re-packetizing to HLS => HTTP CDN caching.

The

Recentlly, as our CDN provider decided to drop RTMP support, we would need to change the live configuration to exclude RTMP CDN, i.e.:

Encoder RTMP => Wowza => HTTP CDN caching

My questions is - what should be a best way for such setup? Is it ok to ingest RTMP to the same application as used for HTTP caching? For instance, thew AppType for the application used to be LiveHTTPOrigin, should we change the type, or is it better to use origin-edge configuration? Our Wowza runs on Amazon EC2 instance, m4.xlarge with 4 CPU and 16 GB ram on Windows server 2008 R2. There could be as many as 20+ streams ingested into Wowza, all eventually cached and delivered by HTTP CDN.

If anybody has any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.

Alex

you shouldnt have to change anything except the rtmp encoder output settings to point to your wowza server instead of the cdn rtmp ingest point. configure the encoder to use the same stream/app/key the cdn was using… you were already ingesting rtmp to that app from the CDN, so nothing changes… =]

im surprised you hadnt set it up like this before :stuck_out_tongue:

Encoder RTMP => Wowza=>

[=> HTTP CDN

[=> RTMP CDN

Hi,

We’ve set it like that before, because we needed the RTMP CDN for delivery, and didn’t want to use Wowza for that, only for repacketizing.

Thanks!

Alex

Hello Alex,

I believe DopeLabs (thanks again DL) has covered the answers you were looking for, but if you still have any remaining questions please let us know.

Regards,

Jason Hatchett