Wowza Community

File transcoding for Intranet uses with JWplayer

hello,

I want to know if Wowza Streaming Engine server can be used as an “OVP” or encoding platform as Encoding.com or Zencoder.

To be clear I want to be able to have an Web API service available to my dev team to send video files to the engine (by REST API) to start encoding process of file.

For example, we sent a VIDEO MP4 file (H264) and we want to transcode (encode and store) this file into HLS multi-bitrate rendition to use it with JWPLAYER (it’s for intranet usage)

Is Wowza Streaming Engine available for that ?

After reading some documentations, it seems to be only “live transcoding” of video.

The Wowza Streaming Engine Transcoder supports only live transcoding. If you are familiar with a program called FFmpeg your development team may be interested in the following article.

For a better streaming media experience you need to ensure that your keyframes are created every two seconds using the FFmpeg “-g” option and the “-x264opts no-scenecut” option on the command line. Together they will make the keyframe distance, or Group of Pictures (GOP), the exact number of frames you specify. For example if you have a 23.976fps file your GOP should be 48.

I hope that this information helps to answer your question.