Wowza Community

Panasonic WV-SW598 multicast as WOWZA live app input stream?

I would like to use WOWZA server to convert streams from 100 Panasonic WV-SW598 cameras all set to multicast to individual ip’s, e.g. 225.130.130.xxx:3002, for unicast streaming.

I can currently access the individual camera multicast streams in VLC using RTSP:

rtsp://10.52.xxx.xxx:554/MediaInput/h264/stream_1

The only modification to VLC required to display the multicast stream is to enable “Force Multicast RTP via RTSP” option within VLC.

When I try to use the same RTSP syntax as an input stream in WOWZA it does not work. I have upgraded to 4.50 and see that WOWZA now offers two Panasonic camera wizard options but it appears the wizards are designed for unicast streams not multicast as they do not work natively with my configuration. I’m assuming that there is a manual configuration change within WOWZA that must be made to support multicast RTP over RTSP, just like I had to do with VLC.

The second question I have is can WOWZA access the stream from the Panasonic camera via the multicast address: port directly instead of issuing an RTSP request to the camera, for example udp://225.130.130.xxx:3002 ?

Multicast MPEG-TS content can be received using the URL form you provided.

udp://225.130.130.xxx:3002

More information regarding ingest of multicast MPEG-TS content can be found in the following article.

https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-publish-and-play-a-live-stream-mpeg-ts-based-encoder

To debug any network issues you should run either WireShark or tcpdump on your Wowza Streaming Engine Server and make sure that you see UDP packets flowing inbound when connecting to your camera. More information regarding ports can be found here:

https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-get-started-as-a-wowza-streaming-engine-manager-administrator

I hope that helps to answer your question.

Hi,

I believe we do have an open ticket with you on this. Hopefully it will be progressed to your satisfaction via the ticket process.

Regards,

Paul

Multicast MPEG-TS content can be received using the URL form you provided.

udp://225.130.130.xxx:3002

Except that it doesn’t work.

I have moved a test camera to the same segment as the WOWZA server to facilitate troubleshooting. Camera is now configured to multicast to 239.20.0.10:5000 and is addressed at 10.245.12.50.

I can access the multicast stream using VLC with the following RTSP command (VLC preferences for Demuxers RTP/RTSP "Force RTP Multicast RTSP mus be enabled):

rtsp://10.245.12.50:554/MediaInput/h264/stream_1

Wireshark trace shows the RTSP exchange from camera to wowza and then UDP stream from camera to the multicast address that VLC succesfully displays.

However when I use the exact same RTSP string as a source stream in WOWZA the Incoming Stream stats show the stream is connected but zero bytes in and no display at all.