Wowza Community

VOD unable to play video recorded by DVR

Hello,

I have a Wowza Engine setup on AWS EC2, and we are using wowza’s DVR to record all the streams that pass through it. Problem is, some (not all – depends on who is streaming) videos can’t be played back, and there is this error message in Wowza’s logs:

File is missing 'moov' atom.

The setup is pretty simple, it consists of one Wowza Engine (4.5.0.03 (build 19252)) installed on a c3.xlarge EC2 instance. We have a live application (among others), and in this application several stream files. The application has “Record all incoming streams” checked. After streams are recorded, video files are moved to an S3 bucket by a cron script (the FileWriter module was lacking flexibility in where it writes the files, that’s why we don’t use it).

We first noticed the error message when trying to play the videos through the VODS3 application with Flowplayer, but I managed to confirm the lack of “moov atom” BEFORE the move to S3 (with tools like AtomicParsley for example).

Not sure what other informations I should include, so please ask and I’ll be apply to answer.

I really have no idea what’s happening, so any pointers welcome!

The “moov” atom is the last thing that is written to a recorded file.

Are you recordings being stopped correctly? If a recording is not stopped correctly, or there is an error causes the recording to stop abruptly, then you can get files with this type of issue.

Try fixing the recording using FFMPEG, with a command similar to this one:

ffmpeg -i oldFile.mp4 -acodec copy -vcodec copy newFile.mp4

Regards,

Alex