Wowza Community

TranscoderTimedSnapshot

I’m on 4+ and added the TranscoderTimedSnapshot module as indicated here and configured the properties to suit my needs.

Quick background - I have a live camera stream going through Transcoder that I would like to periodically (automatically) save a snap (every day or so) PNG/JPEG, and eventually make a timelapse video out of the stills. Per the notes above, now I don’t know what to do next. :confused:

Do I need to install Dev Tools and write some java code? Do I use the GitHub code somewhere?

I’m just looking for a way to (in theory) enable the (snapshot) function and start collecting the stills.

Any step by step help is appreciated; again this is new to me - Thanks in advance.

There is no need to install Dev Tools or do anything extra with this module.

Following the directions in that article should get you screen grabs from a stream that is created by the Wowza Transcoder. These files should be saved (by default) to the [install dir]\content.

If this is not happening make sure that your server has been restarted after you installed the Module and that your Application has also been restarted after you added all of the custom properties.

In your Application.xml in [install dir]\conf[app name]

check and make sure you have this entry:

TranscoderTimedSnapshot

Takes snapshots of transcoder streams.

com.wowza.wms.plugin.TranscoderTimedSnapshot

Then right bellow in the you should have (you would obviously substitute some of the strings with your info):

transcoderTimedSnapshotStreamNames

myStream_720p

String

transcoderTimedSnapshotHeight

Integer

transcoderTimedSnapshotWidth

Integer

transcoderTimedSnapshotInterval

Integer

transcoderTimedSnapshotImagePrefix

myStream_screenshot_

String

transcoderTimedSnapshotFormat

png

String

transcoderTimedSnapshotTimestampImages

true

Boolean

If you require further assistance we encourage you to send in a support ticket here:

https://www.wowza.com/support/open-ticket

Regards,

Alex

SOLVED Thanks!

I had to tweak my stream name, removed the “_360p” from it, then restarted everything.

However, now that you brought it up - how do I change the default drive for the incoming snaps (without affecting where my .streams files and anything else in there now or the future; as the preferred storage location).

I do not believe that this module has the option of changing the location where the images are going to be stored.

You could create a custom module that either has a property that you can set to where you can save the snaps or hard code the location into the module.

The source code for the one in question is here

For more information on creating custom modules check out this page

You can also search online to see if others have already created a module with functionality that you need. Some of them are available for free while others you can purchase.

Regards,

Alex

Hi there, I checked my configuration twice but I cannot figure out why the snaps cannot be created.

I checked the error log and everytime i start a stream with the _720p suffix, I get this message:

loadModFunctions[QLive/definst]: Module class not found or could not be loaded. Check [install-dir]/conf/QLive/Application.xml to be sure all Modules/Module/Class paths are correct: name:TranscoderTimedSnapshot class:com.wowza.wms.plugin.TranscoderTimedSnapshot

If I do not configure it with the 720p/360p suffixes, I dont get the message at all - but in any case, no snapshots created in the directory