Wowza Community

Servers don't perform as expected

I have a group of Wowza servers that I load balance for use as HLS origins. These servers are pretty beefed up and I would expect to get more out of them.

Please keep in mind this spec is one of MANY and they all perform the same. These are HLS origins only for VOD content. No live streams and no transcoding.

Some server specs

Intel® Xeon® CPU E5-1620 v2 @ 3.70GHz (8 cores total)

Mem 48G

SSD raid10

Two 10G fiber network links bonded

From wowza admin

OS Architecture: amd64

Memory: Total: 47.13 GB

Available: 961.54 MB

Processor Cores: 8

Java Version: 1.8.0_25

Java Bitness :64

Java Heap Size :Production level 10000 MB

Java Garbage Collection Settings: Concurrent collector (recommended) -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:NewSize=512m

Handler Thread Pool Size Set automatically to: 480 threads

Transport Thread Pool Size Set automatically to: 320 threads

Writer Thread Pool Set automatically to: 16 threads

Readahead Thread Pool Set automatically to: 16 threads

Maximum Pending Write Request Size Set automatically to: 500 MB

Maximum Pending Readahead Request Size Set automatically to: 25 MB

Net Connections Processor Count Set automatically to: 32 threads

Media Caster Processor Count Set automatically to: 32 threads

Idle Worker Count Set automatically to: 16 threads

Unicast Incoming Processor Count Set automatically to: 16 threads

Unicast Outgoing Processor Count Set automatically to: 16 threads

Multicast Incoming Processor Count Set automatically to: 16 threads

Multicast Outgoing Processor Count Set automatically to: 16 threads

Client Idle Frequency 250 milliseconds

RTP Idle Frequency 75 milliseconds

Processor Count Set automatically to: 16 threads

Here is a pic of a top and wowza graph. Something isn’t right. I should be able to get way more connections than this.

Troy Hammonds

Does the wowza team read these threads? Is there some info I am missing here to get an answer?

Hi,

I recommend that you open a ticket with our support team. When creating a ticket please provide a ZIP file containing the [Wowza-Install]/conf/ directory and latest log files for analysis (created during a load test).

You’ll also need to state how many concurrent connections you’re getting (it appears to be around 320 from the screenshot) and link to this thread for reference.

Note: The Wowza Streaming Engine software does not have any hard limits to the number of connections it can receive. The limitations are usually either hardware or bandwidth related.

You may need to run multiple instances of the Wowza Streaming Engine software (which can be done on the same server) if you’re traffic amounts to 5 Gbps which is a Java limitation. This would require that the average bitrate of the streams is over 15.7 Mbps with 317 concurrent connections.

Regards,

Jason Hilton

Technical Support Engineer

Wowza Media Systems