Wowza Community

Pass ID3 Tags through Wowza

We are using Wirecast output to Wowza as:

Web Source from Akamai into Wirecast / Wirecast into Wowza

We are ingesting an HTTP HLS stream when we use the web source in Wirecast

We are in need of the ID3 timestamps in the Wowza output for Synchronization purposes

We do not see the ID3 tags in the streams Wowza is outputting

We don’t need to convert anything (like taking AMF onTextData, and converting to ID3. That is already done by the CDN, Akamai). We just need to pass the stream straight through with the ID3 tags.

Thanks for any help.

Hello,

Thanks for contacting Wowza Forums!

Can you confirm Wirecast is not stripping out the ID3 tags? If you take the Wirecast output and run through a ID3 tag validator, do you see the metadata? I would suggest confirming this first.

Also, Wowza supports HLS ingest now. Another test is to have Wowza ingest the stream directly from Akamai. Here is an article on this:

HLS Ingest to Wowza

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jermaine

Hi,

This was discussed in a ticket already, but I also wanted to post the reply for other users. ID3 passthrough in HLS ingest via MediaCaster has been submitted as an enhancement request, but is not yet available at this time.

Michelle

Hey Jermaine Thanks.

I will try bypassing the Wirecast ingest using Wowza directly… although it is key to our workflow, I can likely bypass it in some cases.

As to the ID3 tag validator. Can you suggest an appropriate app to run the live stream through? I did some searching and lt looks like all the ones I see are used for FILES.

I just took a look at this and ingesting directly from Akamai is what we are already doing. We send from Wirecast to our Akamai stream and pull that into Wowza. So that doesnt help us.

I am now at this point.

I have setup Wowza to ingest my Akamai stream. I can play that stream in the test players and externally in other browsers and players.

In looking at the manifest info coming through Wowza it appears that the Chunks are not using the same chunk duration time as how we have coming in from Akamai.

We have a Chunk duration of 10 in our ingested stream from Akamai, and it looks like Wowza is using something else – 13?. I checked the advanced properties and it looks like the default settings are 10 in Wowza. How can I verify that or manually set that to 10?

I have now setup Wowza to ingest my stream from Akamai.

I have solved the chunk differences by following guidance elsewhere in the docs here, I used 2 seconds ( 60 frames) as the Keyframe setting when using 10000 ms (10 seconds) in the Chunk Duration

Adjusting the encoder’s Keyframe settings in Wirecast, which we are sending to Akamai

Setting the:

• Keyframe Every “60” frames

• Timecode every “60” frames

• Align Keyframes (on)

I set:

cupertinoChunkDurationTarget

Integer

But we are still not seeing ID3 timecode on playback out of Wowza.

Any advice here?

Thanks