Wowza Community

How to re-stream an unprotected stream from FMS or a CDN such as Akamai

https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-re-stream-an-unprotected-stream-from-adobe-media-server-or-a-cdn

No, we currently do not have a way to support query parameters through the live stream repeater process. I believe they will get stripped off. We may look at this in a future release but at this time it is not possible.

Charlie

If you are using StartupStreams.xml or the stream manager to start the streams and you don’t stop the stream it will continue to run. With iPhone and Silverlight packetization we need to keep packetizing the stream. If you have some event you can queue off of to start and stop the streams then you can use the IApplicationInstance.startMediaCasterStream and IApplicationInstance.stopMediaCasterStream to trigger the start and stop using the server-side API. The trick if to find an event from which to trigger the start/stop of the stream. You can certainly write your own scheduler that does it based on time of day.

Charlie

I haven’t worked deep on the code but could this be used to re-stream from a FMS (in a local installation not in Akamai) ?

Edit: Yes, it’s possible :slight_smile:

Thanks Charlie

Hi Charlie, I need help. I want to use this method, but instead of using a single rtmp stream, I want to use two different rtmp origins. I want each one to be a different quality in a smil for iphone.

Do you think is possible (and how I do it if is)?

Thanks

it looks alike for every stream I have to modify the file manually , is it any way to do that automatically ?

Is it possible to use one server to do more than one re-stream? I have one stream working with the above settings just fine but I’m trying to add another one that has a different source feed and it doesn’t seem to be working. Of course I need to change the name of the stream but in the config what should be adjusted to to use a different name? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Sean

What do you mean by “token based streaming”?

Charlie

You can use /conf/StartupStreams.xml to start MediaCaster streams when the Server starts.

I think you can leave the Applicaiton.xml /StreamType “live”, set the MediaCaster type to “liverepeater” in the StartupStreams.xml file, and set Application.xml /LiveStreamPacketizer = “cupertinostreamingpacketizer”, and will work on IPhone.

Richard

You still can’t subscribe as such from server to server, and I don’t think the source for livestream repeater is available to modify, but, if it helps, you can use a live stream(s) as a source for a Stream class stream. You make the “start” parameter “-2”

Richard

This either means Wowza is already started or another program is running and using port 1935. You might be starting the server in stand alone mode when Wowza is running as a service. If you are using putty or cmd window, control-c should get you back to a prompt.

You can open another console and run [wowza-install-dir]/bin/shutdown.sh (shutdown.bat)

Richard

Yes, of course, you can have many streams with different sources and different names.

Richard

If you are referring to StreamManager, you can automate using /conf/StartUpStreams.xml

Richard

it looks alike for every stream I have to modify the file manually , is it any way to do that automatically ?

What were you referring to?

StreamManager is one way to start pulling a MediaCaster:

http://www.wowza.com/community/t/-/82

/conf/StartUpStream.xml is another way.

Richard

You probably don’t need StreamManager in that case.

Richard

You can repeat step #4 as many times as you want, creating different . stream files, and each one can be a different server + stream name or smil file.

Richard

You can use the .stream file names in the smil. Put the smil file and the .stream files in the edge content folder:

edge server /content/myStream.smil:

<smil>
<head>
</head>
<body>
<switch>
<video src="streamname1.stream" system-bitrate="10480000"/>
<video src="streamname2.stream" system-bitrate="7480000"/>
<video src="streamname3.stream" system-bitrate="3480000"/>
</switch>
</body>
</smil>

edge server /content/streamname1.stream:

rtmp://[wowza-origin-address]/liverepeater/stream1

Richard

You’re welcome. Glad you got it working. Thanks for the update.

Richard

Either one of those is correct. The first one is usual in this case.

Make sure your text editor doesn’t add .txt extension

Richard

Have you seen this guide:

https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-configure-a-live-stream-repeater

Go through that, follow the 1,2,3 setup, then the A,B,C test.

Richard