Wowza Community

Video Streaming Management System

I just recently got into Wowza as a streaming solution at my University. Management of my growing pile of videos was becoming an increasing burden. I created my own Video Streaming Management System by coupling Wowza with the Drupal web content management system that now provides my users with an easy to use web interface for uploading videos, meta-tagging of videos, searching for videos on meta-data, usage analytics, video stream access control (using secure streaming module of FlowPlayer with the secure token feature of Wowza). Web discussions can be held for any particular video and LDAP authentication to the site (all leveraging Drupal with Wowza).

For those who are interested, I wrote up most of what I did at: http://www.ebremer.com/encore

I will finish the second half of the article soon. - E

Thanks for posting this. We can move to Showcase if you think it is ready?

Richard

Mike,

You can re-compile Flowplayer following this guide:

http://flowplayer.org/documentation/developer/development-environment.html

Richard

@ebremer : http://drupal.org/node/727818

Funny because I’m adVid at drupal.org. Does your patch look like mine ?

The rest of the code that I wrote to make to get Drupal and Wowza to play together was in the Drupal Custom Formatters module which gave me the hooks needed to extract the file path information from the FileField CCK module and re-work them so that Flowplayer would pull the video from Wowza rather than Drupal. The code that I wrote for custom formatter is not actually a modification of the module itself rather custom formatters allows you to paste in a block of PHP code to do processing to re-work the CCK field display. I will be posting my code this weekend or next once I finish writing the second half of the article. - Erich

I’m also using Drupal but to publish live-recorded content from a Flex app, using Services module and special SWF Tools tag. I didn’t use CCK.

It would be nice to add SWF Tools support for the actual token for those people who do not have the time or expertise to compile it into Flowplayer.

What do you mean ? You’d like to allow users to set token directly in Drupal then securestreaming plugin will be re-compiled ?

Actually your patch went one step further than mine. I had added the code necessary to implement support for the Flowplayer Secure Streaming module, but I had not created the GUI code to modify the Secure Stream path that you have done. I was going to figure out how to make the Drupal patch and add the GUI code then. The SWF Tools modification was only was for getting the support for Wowza’s secure token module.

The rest of the code that I wrote to make to get Drupal and Wowza to play together was in the Drupal Custom Formatters module which gave me the hooks needed to extract the file path information from the FileField CCK module and re-work them so that Flowplayer would pull the video from Wowza rather than Drupal. The code that I wrote for custom formatter is not actually a modification of the module itself rather custom formatters allows you to paste in a block of PHP code to do processing to re-work the CCK field display. I will be posting my code this weekend or next once I finish writing the second half of the article. - Erich

The rest of my article is posted along with all of my source modifications. It would be nice to add SWF Tools support for the actual token for those people who do not have the time or expertise to compile it into Flowplayer. - E

For me personally, I’m happy to compile the token into Flowplayer. But, some people will not have time and/or the expertise. By allowing the user to specify the token in SWF Tools, the user could readily have secure token support via Flowplayer/Wowza. Yes, view-HTML would reveal the secret code, but, in some cases, it would be sufficient. But a disclaimer/explanation explaining the risks would be prudent. Minimally though, by allowing the token to be specified in SWF Tools would be useful for testing purposes to see if the token was compiled into Flowplayer correctly by knowing that the system works fine without the compiled-in version.

I’m working on integration now with a Tandberg Content server for both VOD and live streaming.

I am also using a plugin for ads an help with ways to impalement it would be great thanks. I also downloaded SWF tools beta 3 but did not see anything for the secure streaming plugin.

I also have some custom Java script I run in the video player any help with implementing that would be great as well thanks.

Mike

Hello Erich, I’m working on something that’s pretty similar to what you mentioned in the forum. I tried to follow the steps you outlined @ http://www.ebremer.com/encore however, I’m unable to see the video streaming after the step 11. I would appreciate if you could provide me a few pointers. If you have any specific question please let me know.

Harsha