Wowza Community

Connection timeout

Hi,

For some unknown reason I got multiple disconnections from WMS. I got “session disconnected” message in the log console. I think it is perhaps due to a timeout on connection (On client side, I’m using a Flash player embedded into an http web page).

Could you tell me which kind of watchdogs are implemented on server side to check that client connection are still alive. I’ve checked in VHost.xml that there are different timeout parameters, could you please give me some more explanations on those timeouts ?

Is there a way to identify the reason for session disconnection ? It seems that I got some “pingtimeout error” message issue in the log console.

I got multiple disconnections but its seems that they are more frequent when I try to access other web sites together with listening my mp3 streaming from WMS. Overload of IE for a while ??? timeout ??

Thanks for your answer

Regards

I got also an disconnection without any activity on client side on my PC except listening to the mp3 stream

Regards

Wowza does disconnect idle clients using ping timeout. If you close a browser or tab that had a player running, it should happen within a few seconds.

Is there a problem with the application? Are you just curious about what you are seeing in the logs.

If you setup Wowza on dev machine and run in standalone, connecting to from different browsers you can see what happens under what circumstances.

Richard

Is it something that you can reproduce? The client that gets disconnected is not idle?

Richard

It should take about 60 seconds at most. If you connect to Wowza in an IE tab, then close the tab but do not close the browser, and watc the output of Wowza in a console or in the IDE, you should observe a ping timeout and disconnect within 60 seconds.

If you connect to Wowza, then close the whole browser, you should see an immediate disconnect, usually. If not you should see a ping timeout and disconnect within 60 seconds.

If you are connected to Wowza and actively streaming, and get disconnected, that’s something else. If you are using a developer edition and doing live HTTP streaming you will get disconnected in 3 minutes.

In some players, if you stop a stream, you are also disconnecting.

Richard

Was the video finished playing? What player? It only happens when you are on another tab?

Do you have a link to a player I can try?

Richard

By the way, when I’m using this application through a wifi access point, it seems that the problem is more frequent, could it be linked with it

I guess that this is the actual factor. That would makes sense. Wowza doesn’t just disconnect active streams.

Listening now with ethernet connection.

Richard

It is the ValidationFrequency setting at the bottom of /conf/VHost.xml

Richard

No I’m not only curious, I got an actual problem trying to set up my application.

In fact, I’ve been disconnected many time without any obvious reasons and without closing the IE window where is my client Flash player. So I’m trying to understand why an how I could avoid those unwanted disconnections. It seems it comes from a ping timeout but I don’t know how to check its values and where to change it to test a bigger value.

Regards

Yes I got it many times now and the only thing I was doing is that I was surfing on internet while listening to a mp3 stream. It is not reproducable so easily but it’s quit frequent when doing this.

The last time I got the “ping timeout” message again before disconnection.

Any idea ?

Regards

Still got the problem many times, could you please give me some usefull information on the ping timeout conditions ?

Thanks

Thanks for the answer but I still do not understand what’s happening. I’m listenning to a stream generated towards a flash player embedded in a IE html web page. The stream is on, and I just open a new tab in IE to read other web pages from other web site., and then my stream stopped with a '“ping timeout” message on the WMS log console. I did not close IE nor any opened tab, … just get disconnected from WMS, and I did not spot out any other reason than this “ping timeout” message ???

I’m using rtmp streaming and a full WMS licence (free full licence for a month, prior to buying the licence)

No, the mp3 (not a video) was still on. The player is a home made flash application embedded in a web page www.maradioamoi.com you can log in to access the player, I created a pseudo wowza (pw: wowza). The player is listening to a continuous audio stream (radio). The problem is not systematic, I got it many times but it is very difficult to find the exact conditions when it happens.

By the way, when I’m using this application through a wifi access point, it seems that the problem is more frequent, could it be linked with it ? I got more than 120 users listening to the radio at the same time and some experienced unwanted disconnections also !

Regards

Is there a way to increase the value of the ping timeout to try with a different value ? Is there any file for this and which parameter has to be changed ?

How can we set the inactivity timeout in the Web User Interface for Wowza Streaming Enginer Manager?