Thread: Is it possible to delete files with open streams on Linux?

Question Is it possible to delete files with open streams on Linux?

I am unable to delete files on my Windows Wowza server if they are currently being streamed. I believe this is because Windows locks any files that are in use. If I switch this Wowza server to a Linux machine, will I able to easily delete files with open streams? I wanted to ask the community before dropping the cash on a new server.

Thanks!

This seems to be a java implementation problem on windows, we have had other complaints. Try java 7, see if that helps.

Richard

Interesting. I set this server up with a Wowza provider, so I'm not sure if I can manage a Java upgrade. My preference is to run on Linux anyway, since all of our apps are hosted on Linux servers. I just wanted to make doubly sure that I would be able to delete on Linux before I pay the costs of setting up another instance. From all of my research, it sounds like modifying and deleting files with open streams won't be a problem with Wowza on Linux.

This is an operating system issue. I'm not prepared to give any such assurance. You should test.

Richard