Privacy & Cookies Policies
By visiting the Site or using Software or a Service, you agree that your personal information will be handled as described in this Policy, and consent to the same. Your use of the Site, Software, or a Service, and any controversy or dispute related to the privacy or use of your personal information, is subject to this Policy, along with other applicable terms and conditions, including limitations on damages and resolution of disputes (the applicable End User License Agreement for Software, for example), which are incorporated by reference into this Policy.
Location of Data
Wowza is based in the United States. We provide services globally using computer systems, servers, and databases located in the U.S. When you use our services from outside of the U.S., your information will therefore be transferred to, stored in, and processed in the U.S. Data is collected, stored, used, and shared as set forth in our privacy policies.
What Information Does Wowza Collect About You?
Wowza may collect information directly from you and, where allowed by law, from third parties as well as through your use of our Site, Software, and Services.
Information We Collect Directly From You. Certain areas and features of the Site, Software, or Services may require registration or the submission of information by you. When you register for an account we process: (i) your personal details (e.g., your name, e-mail, user name and password); (ii) records of your consents to our processing of your personal data; (iii) payment details (e.g., your billing address); (iv) information about your use of our Sites and Apps (e.g., the type of device you are using); (v) details of your current business sector (B2B); (vi) information about your interactions with our services, and (vii) any views or opinions if you provide them to us.
When you register for a trial or download content we process: (i) your personal details (e.g., your name, e-mail, user name and password); (ii) records of your consents to our processing of your personal data; (iii) details of your current business sector (B2B); (iv) information about your interactions with our services, and (v) any views or opinions if you provide them to us.
Where the submission of information by you is optional, rather than required, we take reasonable measures to make this distinction clear (marking required fields “required,” for example).
Information We Collect Automatically. We may automatically collect information about you and your use of the Site, Software, or Services through cookies, web beacons, and other technologies and methods. The information we collect in this manner may include the following: your domain name, IP address, location, and manner in which you connect with or to the Site, Software, and Services; information about your browser, device, operating system, and mobile device; the date and time on which you visit the Site or use the Software or Services and the length of time you do so; details regarding your use of the Site, Software, and Services, and other software products or services; web pages you view and links you click or access; information related to your payment for Software and Services; and the referring URL, site, or services that led you to the Site and information related to that referral.
What Do We Do With the Information We Collect?
In general, we use information we collect about you to develop and improve our Site and the Software and Services, to develop new products and services, to customize and target content and information we provide or market to customers and others, and to comply with laws and court orders. Some examples of our use of the information we collect include the following:
- For customer service purposes. For example, to communicate with you about your use of the Site, Software, or Services, to respond to your inquiries, to fulfill your orders, and for other similar purposes.
- To personalize your experiences on the Site and in the Software and Services. For example, to tailor the content and information that we send or display to you, to display targeted advertising, to offer location customization, and to offer personalized help and instructions.
- For marketing and promotional purposes. For example, in accordance with applicable law, we may use your information, such as your email address, to send you news and newsletters, special offers, and promotions, or to otherwise contact you about products or information we think may interest you. We also may use the information that we learn about you and your use of our Site, Software, and Services to assist us in advertising on third party websites and for other purposes.
- For product and service improvement purposes. For example, to better understand how users access and use our Site, Software, and Services, both on an aggregated and individualized basis, in order to improve our Site, Software, and Services, to respond to user desires and preferences, and for other research, analytical, and commercial purposes. For information on how to opt out of cookies on related forms of tracking, see our cookies policy below.
How We Share Your Information
In general, Wowza does not sell, rent, or share personal information about you to outside third parties other than authorized vendors, service providers, and partners. Wowza may share the information that we collect about you, including personally identifiable information, as follows:
- Other Wowza Customers and Site Visitors. Your user name, name, and other information that you post to the Site, including, without limitation, reviews, comments, and feedback will be available to, and may be searchable by, other users of the Site, regardless of whether they have signed up or otherwise identified themselves to Wowza. Even if it appears presently that such information about you is not available to others, we may change or improve Site functionality in the future, resulting in such information being available to other Wowza customers and Site visitors.
- Affiliates, Subsidiaries, and Partners. We may disclose the information we collect from you to our affiliates, subsidiaries, and partners (including resellers, for example); however, if we do so, their use and disclosure of your personally identifiable information will be subject to this Policy, and, where required by law, we will obtain your consent to such transfers.
- Service Providers. We may disclose the information we collect from you to third party vendors, service providers, contractors, or agents who perform functions on our behalf. These include, as an example, payment processors, to whom we transfer information about you in order to bill and collect payment for the Software and Services.
- Business Transfers. If we are a party to a merger, acquisition, or other corporate restructuring (or similar activity), we may transfer the information we have collected to another company party to such activity. Similarly, if we are a party to a bankruptcy proceeding, the information we have collected about you may be transferred to an acquiring or merged entity.
- In Response to Legal Process. We may disclose the information we collect from you in order to comply with applicable law, a judicial proceeding, court order, or other legal process, such as in response to a court order or a subpoena.
- To Protect Us and Others. We also may disclose the information we collect from you where we believe it is necessary to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the safety of any person, suspected or actual violations of our this Policy or other agreements (including acceptable use policies) between you and Wowza or our partners, or as evidence in litigation in which Company is involved.
- Aggregate and De-Identified Information. We may share aggregate or de-identified information about our users with third parties for marketing, advertising, research, or other purposes.
Cookies. Cookies are alphanumeric identifiers that we transfer to your computer’s hard drive through your web browser for record-keeping purposes. Some cookies allow us to make it easier for you to navigate our Site, the Software, and Services, while others are used to enable a faster log-in process or to allow us to track your activities at our Site, in our Software, and while using our Services. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but if you prefer, you can edit your browser options to block them in the future. The “Help” portion of the toolbar on most internet browsers will tell you how to prevent your computer from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable cookies altogether. Visitors to our Site who disable cookies will be able to browse certain areas of the Site, but some features, including shopping cart and purchases, may not function fully or in the manner intended if you disable cookies.
Local Storage Objects, Clear GIFs, tracking pixels and pixel tags, and other technologies. We may use Local Storage Objects (“LSOs”), to store your Site preferences and to personalize your visit to our Site. LSOs are different from browser cookies because of the amount and type of data stored. Typically, you cannot control, delete, or disable the acceptance of LSOs through your web browser. Similarly, clear GIFs are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in functionality to cookies. In contrast to cookies, which are stored on your computer’s hard drive, clear GIFs are embedded invisibly on web pages. We may use clear GIFs (a.k.a. web beacons, web bugs or pixel tags), in connection with our Site to, among other things, track the activities of Site visitors, help us manage content, and compile statistics about Site usage. We and our third-party service providers also use clear GIFs in HTML emails to our customers, to help us track email response rates, identify when our emails are viewed, and track whether our emails are forwarded.
We may combine information gathered from cookies and other tracking mechanisms with other personal information we collect from you in order to be able to provide a more personalized service to you. If you do not agree to such user profiling, you may opt-out by contacting us at LegalNotices@wowza.com. In this case, we will send an opt-out cookie to your computer which needs to be stored permanently. In case you delete such cookie, you must install such cookie again the next time you visit our site.
Third-Party Analytics, Ad Networks, and Links
Third-Party Links. The Site, Software, and Services may contain links to third-party websites. Any access to and use of such websites is not governed by this Policy, but instead is governed by the privacy policies of those third party websites. We are not responsible for the information practices of such third party websites and do not have the ability to control such practices.
Flurry Analytics. Some Software utilizes a third-party tracking service provided by a company called Flurry. Although Flurry provides a mechanism to opt out of tracking by Flurry, opting out of Flurry services will not impact other ad networks or analytics providers.
You may always choose whether to share information about yourself with Wowza. Although our Site, Software, and Services may each fail to provide you with certain functionality or benefits if you do decline to provide information to Wowza. The Wowza Site presently does not honor browser requests or signals not to be tracked and does not subscribe or respond to “Do Not Track” lists or similar services.
Security of Personal Information
We have implemented commercially reasonable measures to protect the information we collect about you from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. Of course, despite any amount of effort, no data security measures can guarantee security or confidentiality, and we encourage you to also take prudent measures to protect your information. Prudent steps include signing off after using a shared computer, choosing a robust password that nobody else knows or can easily guess, and keeping your log-in and password information private. We are not responsible for any lost, stolen, or compromised passwords or for any activity on your account via unauthorized password activity.
Where Wowza Operates
Wowza is a global organization and your information may be transferred, stored, and processed anywhere in the world, including the U.S., European Union, (including Germany, Ireland and the UK), Japan, South Korea and China. By providing us with your information, including (where applicable) personally identifiable information, you consent to such transfer, storage, and processing of your information anywhere in the world. Some foreign jurisdictions may have information protection laws less stringent than those in your home jurisdiction.
Updates to this Policy
Wowza may update this Policy occasionally to ensure that you are informed of our practices with regard to personal information. When we update this policy, we will update www.wowza.com/legal/privacy and, depending on our view of the significance of the update, send an email to all Site, Software, and Services users notifying them of the update. Your continued use of the Site, Software, or Services following such an update to this Policy on the Site indicates your acceptance of the updated Policy.
What Is a cookie?
A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers that are placed on your browser or the hard drive of your computer. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer's hard drive. Some cookies are “persistent cookies” – these remain on a user’s device for the period of time specified in the cookie, and are activated each time the user visits the website. Other cookies are “session cookies” – these are temporarily stored on a user’s device; once you close the browser, all session cookies are deleted.
First vs. Third-party Cookies
We use both first and third party cookies. Whether a cookie is ‘first’ or ‘third’ party refers to the domain placing the cookie. First-party cookies are those set by a website that is being visited by the user at the time (e.g., cookies placed by Zenimax.com). Third-party cookies are cookies that are set by a domain other than that of the website being visited by the user. If a user visits a website and another entity sets a cookie through that website this would be a third-party cookie.
What Cookies Do We Use and Why?
We use Strictly Necessary, Functionality, and Performance, Targeting cookies.
Strictly Necessary Cookies: allow you to move around the Site, Software and Services and use essential features like secure areas. These cookies are a condition of using our Site, Software and Services. Without these cookies, certain services you have asked for cannot be provided. We use these cookies to remember information you have entered on forms during a session; to identify you as being logged in; and to route users to specific applications of a service, or specific servers.
Functionality Cookies: used to provide services or remember settings to improve your visit or use. We use these cookies to remember settings you've applied, such as layout, text size, preferences, and colors; remember if we've already asked you if you want to fill in a survey; and show you when you're logged in.
Performance Cookies: collect information about how you use our Site, Software and Services (e.g., which pages you visit or services you use, and if you experience any errors). They do not collect any information that could identify you. We use Performance cookies for:
- Web Analytics: To provide statistics on how our Site, Software and Services are used;
- Ad Response Rates: To see how effective our advertisements are, including those on third party sites;
- Affiliate Tracking: To provide feedback to partners that one of our visitors also visited their website. This can include details of any products purchased;
- Error Management: To help us improve the website by measuring any errors that occur; and
- Testing Designs: To test different designs of our Site, Software and Services.
Targeting Cookies: linked to services provided by third parties, such as 'Like' buttons and 'Share' buttons. Third parties provide these services in return for recognizing that you have visited our Site or used our Software and Services. We also use Targeting cookies to provide advertising agencies with information on your visit so that they can present you with advertisements in which you may be interested
How to Delete and Block Our Cookies
Your Choices About Third-party Cookies
Currently, we use the following third party cookies for Performance and Targeting:
You can refuse the use of Google Analytics by clicking on the following link. An opt-out cookie will be set on the computer, which prevents the future collection of your data when visiting this website. Disable Google Analytics
Please note that on this website, Google Analytics code is supplemented by “gat._anonymizeIp();” to ensure an anonymized collection of IP addresses (so called IP-masking).
More information about how third party cookies are used for targeted advertising and how to opt out of some third party ad networks can be found at: http://www.youronlinechoices.eu or www.aboutads.info.
Addendum Data Policy for European Users
The GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) provides individual rights to EU citizens in relation to personal Data which are listed below for your convenience. Personal Data of residents of European Economic Area (“EEA”) must be subject to a legal framework of GDPR. To find out more about GDPR, please visit the European Union’s website, at https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/law-topic/data-protection_en.
If you are an European Union (EU) resident please note the following:
With respect to the WOWZA platforms, we are controllers of personal data of users who visit our website or use our services.
The party responsible for this website (“controller”) for purposes of GDPR data protection law is:
Wowza Media Systems, LLC
523 Park Point Drive, Suite 300
Golden, CO 80401 USA
Telephone: 001- 888.778.7997
Reason for personal data Processing
The following legal bases apply to the processing of personal data on this website.
- Legitimate business interests (cf. Art. 6 (1) f) GDPR): We could not provide our services or comply with our obligations to you without transferring your personal information to the U.S. When we process your personal data for legitimate interests, we will consider and balance any potential impact on you and your rights under data protection and any other relevant law. Our legitimate business interests do not override your interests. WOWZA will not use your personal data in circumstances where your rights and freedoms override our legitimate interests, unless we have your consent or are otherwise required or permitted to by law.
- Consent (cf. Art. 6 (1) c) GDPR): We transfer your personal information when we receive your express, revocable consent for specific purposes.
- Performance of a contract or steps prior to entering into a contract (cf. Art. 6 (1) b) GDPR): We process your personal data that you provide to offer you products, content or services, to supply you with products, content and services as you request, to send important notices, and for internal purposes.
- Legal Obligation (cf. Art. 6 (1) c) GDPR): We process your personal data if necessary for compliance with a legal obligation.
Retention of personal data
We retain your personal data for the duration of your business relationship with us, and we hold your information only as long as necessary for each purpose we use it, unless we have obtained your consent to use for another or similar purpose. If you want more information about our retention schedule please contact us: LegalNotice@wowza.com.
Rights under GDPR
- to confirmation of whether personal data concerning them is being processed, information about the personal data being processed, further information about the nature of the data processing, and copies of the personal data (cf. Art. 15 GDPR);
- to rectification to amend or update the personal data information by correcting or completing data to ensure accurate and up to date personal data (cf. Art. 16 GDPR);
- to erasure personal data (‘the right to be forgotten’) without undue delay, or, alternatively, if further processing is necessary as stipulated in Art. 17 Para. 3 GDPR, for example in the case of (i) legal obligation which requires processing by Union or Member State law to which is WOWZA subject and/or (ii) the establishment, exercise or defense of legal claims (cf. Art. 17 GDPR);
- to restrict of processing personal data from any further processing of personal information in any of the following events: (i) the personal data is incorrect (but only for as long as it requires to check the accuracy of the relevant personal data), (ii) there is no legal basis processing personal data and the data subject demands that WOWZA restricts personal data from further processing, (iii) we no longer require personal data, but the data subject claims, and this requires WOWZA to retain such data in order to claim or exercise legal rights or to defend against third party claims or (iv) in case the data subject objects to the processing of personal data by WOWZA (based on a legitimate ground) pursuant to Art. 21 (1) GDPR for as long as it is required to review as to whether WOWZA has a prevailing interest or legal obligation in processing personal data (cf. Art. 18 GDPR);
- to data portability which allows data subjects to obtain and or reuse their personal data for their own purposes across different services. It allows to move, copy or transfer personal data easily from one IT environment to another in a safe and secure way, without hindrance to usability (cf. Art. 20 GDPR);
- to be made aware of any automated decision-making, that made without any human involvement, and or profiling of your personal information by us (cf. Art. 22 GDPR);
- to withdraw consent at any time as we Process your Personal Data on the basis of your consent (cf. Art. 7 Abs. 3 GDPR); such withdrawal does not affect the lawfulness of any processing performed prior to the date on which we receive notice of such withdrawal, and does not prevent the processing of your personal data in reliance upon any other available legal bases). If you want to withdraw please contact us: LegalNotice@wowza.com.
Right to object
According to Art. 21 GDPR data subjects have the right to object to the processing of their personal information based on legitimate interests or the performance of a task in the public interest or exercise of official authority including profiling activity, direct marketing including profiling activity; and processing for purposes of scientific and or historical research and statistics. If you want to object please contact us: LegalNotice@wowza.com.
Should you wish to discuss a complaint, please feel free to contact us using the details provided above. All complaints will be treated in a confidential manner.
Right to lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority
If you believe that we are not processing your personal information in accordance with requirements set out herein or applicable EEA (European Economic Area) data protection laws, you can at any time lodge a complaint with the data protection authority in particular in the Member State of your habitual residence, place of work or place of the alleged infringement if the data subject considers that the processing of personal data relating to him or her infringes this Regulation (cf. Art. 77 GDPR).
“Data Protection Authority” means an independent public authority that is tasked, by law, with overseeing compliance with applicable data protection laws.
We may require proof of your identity before we can give effect to these rights.
Privacy Notice for California Residents
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) provides certain rights to California residents in relation to their personal information. If you are a California resident, please click here to learn more about your rights and how to exercise them.