Thread: Problem streaming MP4 videos - Server-side Playlist

Question Problem streaming MP4 videos - Server-side Playlist

Hello everyone,

I've been working with wowza for about 2 years and since then i had no complains... Great server.

For 1 and half year i've been using flv as the main video files, and everything was being streamed like a charm, the biggest problem was the file size. too big for a good quality video.

So, I changed to MP4, i have now low-sized files, and high quality videos. The tv station works ok and initially videos are being displayed. But sometimes when a short video is played, as soon as it finishes playing the next video doesn't show video, just audio.

I don't know what to do. Thank you!

If the video that follows with audio only plays with video and audio when it is played alone, then this is most likely because of a change in the video codec that the player could not handle. It might be a frame-size or FPS change, a Profile/Level change, etc. It is best to have identical or close to identical video and audio codecs in the playlist set.

Hey... thanks for replying this.

Well... we use the same profile on Adobe Premiere, so i believe it's not a codec or size issue... I'll keep searching, but i still having this problem!

Hi. Sorry for digging up this thread, but i never got it solved.

there`s one thing that made myself sure that it`s not a problem on my videos. I tryed playing the same stream on this app: and it plays my stream correctly. I see that the problem is with my flash as3 videoplayer. I don't know if it has something to do with AMF encoding (i'm not explicitly using any) or the metadata handler.

I can offer you ways to investigate this on your own, or it might be more efficient if you can just send the requisite information to Wowza support:

You can create a zip files containing your entire conf, logs and transcoder folders and the corresponding media files (not too big if possible), smils and other info, and place this on a webserver somewhere. Email the complete steps to reproduce, a link to the zip, and a link to this forum thread to

Edit: Sorry I didn't catch the part about it being player specific. Does it happen using the Wowza example players? Which ones work or don't work?
    Last edited by randall; 09-06-2012 at 12:36 AM.

So randall,

Thanks for replying... I found out that the problem was with my videoplayer that i have built, but i don't know where the problem is. i was able to watch the stream with no probs using the publisher tool (, i can actually send you the link of my videoplayer and the settings for you to test on this "publisher tool" by PM.

Thank you for your attention!

Try the Wowza /examples/LiveVideoStreaming/client/live.html

AS3 source is included in the above /client and /clientFlex folders, these are good starting places and reference for your project

Last edited by rrlanham; 09-13-2012 at 10:52 AM.

Oh... How silly i was to forget Wowza sample files existence!!!

I just tested them and seems to work great... i'll keep testing it and will use its code. Thanks man, you're always helping the community!

P.S.: The problem wasn't solved, an when i published the demonstration file in my Flash Professional CS5.5 it happened the same problem. So I compiled (published) the FLA in another Computer and it solved the problem. the SWF file size was cut in half and it's working great now! thanks!
    Last edited by hacebe; 09-13-2012 at 11:10 AM.