Thread: Wowza to Cloudfront and Set-Top-Box?

Default Wowza to Cloudfront and Set-Top-Box?

Hey all, I setup live streaming in AWS using a Cloudformation template. Works great. I'm trying to figure out how to have Wowza also send this stream to a set-top-box without going thru Cloudfront. I will use the Cloudfront HLS stream for my embedded player. Playing the HLS steam in my set-top-box has huge latency. I'm hoping to bypass Cloudfront to lower the latency. My set-top-box plays HLS, RTP, TS or RTMP formats.

I'm open to ideas on how to make this work. Thanks.

Hi,
    You can certainly play direct from the origin server using the protocols mentioned.
    RTMP playback is quite simple to implement.
    Here's a guide for RTMP playback.

Daren

Daren, I agree. Playback is quite simple. I need help telling Wowza how to stream to a set-top-box listening on a static IP on port 4001.

Here's what I'm doing:
    Sending a live RTMP stream to Wowza which then goes to Cloudfront and eventually ends up as a HLS stream in my embedded player.

Here's what I need:
    Sending a live RTMP stream to Wowza. Wowza sends one stream to Cloudfront and another stream to a set-top-box listening on IP xxx.xxx.xxx.x:4001

I'm on Wowza Media Server 4. I've gone through the documentation. I'm confused on what is the best solution.

Anyone??

Hi,
    If you need to push the stream to the set-top box that's listening on a multicast IP then you'll need the Push Publishing function described here..
    The function is built-in and supports pushing of RTP and MPEG-TS to supporting multicast networks.

Daren

Here's an update so folks know how I got this to work. As I said in my original post, I use a Cloudformation template in Amazon Web Serivices(AWS) to create a Wowza livestream to Cloudfront. The template is great because it quickly creates the necessary resources. The Bad: livestreaming had a 20-30 second delay thru Cloudfront and there was no rtmp or rtsp output stream for my set-top-box.

To quickly fix this, I logged into the Wowza instance after creating it using the Cloudformation template. I then deleted the the livecf application and created another application with the same name using the streams I needed (HLS, RTMP). I made sure my encoder was transmitting to Wowza then used the 'Test Player' button to get the rtmp link for my set-top-box. This worked great! Now my set-top-box was reading the feed directly from Wowza and bypassing Cloudfront. The live delay was reduced to less than 4 seconds. I still had the delay in Cloudfront which didn't matter for my needs.