Live Video Streaming 101 InfographicFebruary 20, 2019
Live Video Streaming 101
Live video streaming is blowing up. But between capturing a live video and playing it back in real time, quite a bit must occur. Let’s look at some recent live video streaming stats and the end-to-end workflow.
- 82% of internet traffic will be video by 2022.¹
- 7 million viewers live-streamed Super Bowl LIII.²
- 97,000+ hours of content are streamed on Netflix every minute.³
The Live Video Streaming Workflow
Make no bones about it. Delivering lightning-fast video can be tricky business.
- Capture: Frames of video are captured and converted into a continuous video signal.
- Encoding: The raw video is tightly compressed into a digital format, squeezing gigabytes into megabytes.
- Packaging: Once compressed, the components are packaged into a wrapper for transport.
- Transcoding: A media server repackages the stream to support playback on different devices.
- Distribution: The stream is distributed globally using a content delivery network (CDN).
- Playback: The stream is played back, ideally to a large audience and in real time.
Our Tech = Your Superpower
There’s a lot going on in the middle of when a live stream is captured and plays back to the audience. With Wowza, content distributors can make it look easy.
- The Wowza Streaming Engine™ software: Stream on your terms and to any device. Our downloadable media server software powers live and on-demand streaming, on-premises or in the cloud, with fully customizable software.
- The Wowza Streaming Cloud™ service: Quickly build live-streaming application with our fully managed cloud service. The flexible platform gets you up and running quickly, and can be used for end-to-end live streaming or as part of a custom streaming solution.
- The Wowza ClearCaster appliance: Broadcast high-quality streams to Facebook Live. Just plug it in, and ClearCaster auto-configures to provide reliable streams to Facebook Live and beyond.
- The Wowza GoCoder™ mobile app and SDK: Integrate the free Wowza GoCoder SDK with Wowza Streaming Engine or Wowza Streaming Cloud to support live video capture, encoding, and streaming. Start developing mobile apps for iOS and Android today — simply and seamlessly.
- The Wowza CDN™: Our streaming delivery network allows you to reach global audiences of any size. Automatically included with Wowza Streaming Cloud, this can also be leveraged as a stream target for Wowza Streaming Engine.
- The Wowza Player™: Ensure optimized, HD-quality video experiences with our embeddable HTML5 player.
Streaming + Wowza
Trust the streaming provider that powers organizations around the world.
of global CDNs have Wowza built into their ecosystem.4
7 of the top 8
enterprise video platforms power their live video with Wowza.5
20 of the top 25
international universities stream with Wowza.
Streamline your live streaming workflow by working with Wowza. Try it out for yourself with a free trial.
1. Cisco, Cisco Visual Networking Index: Forecast and Trends, 2018-2022, November 2018
2. nScreenMedia, Super Bowl Streaming Audience Increases 70% to 7 Million, February 2019
3. Domo, Data Never Sleeps, 2018
4. Top 10 streaming CDNs according to Streaming Media’s Top 50 Streaming List 2018.
5. Top 8 enterprise video platforms according to Streaming Media’s Top 50 Streaming List 2018 and The Forrester Tech Tide: Video Technologies For Customer And Employee Experience, Q1 2019.