Wowza Community

Lowest latency possible encoder and Wowza settings for iOS devices

Hi.

We trying to send out live content to iOS devices with latency/delay as low as possible from when it’s encoded, but still keep the stream stable.

I understand it possible to lower this latency down to 4 seconds from the time of encoding, and even lower.

What are the recommended settings for the encoder and Wowza? The stream will be around 64 - 256 Kbps, 10 - 15 FPS, 320 x 240 - 640 x 480 resolutions.

Thanks in advance!

Take a look at the cupertinoChunkDurationTarget property in this article:

https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-configure-apple-hls-packetization-cupertinostreaming

Read the note on key frame frequency and how it relates to cupertinoChunkDurationTarget. There is not one answer, you have to experiment with encoding parameters and these Property settings

Richard

4 seconds is not too bad, very good really, for cupertinostreaming. With 1 second key frame frequency and 1 second (1000 milliseconds) cupertinoChunkDurationTarget, you might get it lower.

Richard

Is 4 seconds a reasonable limit to expect though? I’ve been experimenting with the settings from that article and encoding settings, particularly FPS, keyframe interval, and the chunk duration target. I can’t get lower than about 4 seconds. Will more tweaking even be likely to help? 2 seconds would really be ideal.