Thread: Max upload - bitrate, fps and resolution to Wowza

Default Max upload - bitrate, fps and resolution to Wowza

I have used Wowza on many occasion for smaller streaming needs but now I've upgraded to all HD sources. I realize that full HD streaming is not an option but I would like to streaming higher quality than regular SD.

I am using a Mac mini server (8gb mem, i7 quad core) running Wowza. There should not be any limitations there. Tha max stream that I have been able to upload to the server is 960x544, 600kbps at 30 fps. If I send something higher than that the Wowza server kills the stream and it then re-accepts the stream moments later. I would like to try 1280x720 @ 15 or 30 FPS at 1100-1200 Kbps.

Why is that? Is that a setting? How can I fix that?

What is the max upload capabilities for Wowza? How can you find out what that is?

Last edited by Padre2k; 04-13-2012 at 05:52 AM.

You have some problems - probably bandwidth. I've done 2560x1440, 30fps @ 8mbps without issues!

Internet connection - change it!!

Yes, that's sounds like the logical solution but I don't think that is the problem. The server has 50Mbps upstream and 50Mbps downstream - plenty of bandwidth there. My encoder has a 5Mbps upload bandwidth also. I am only uploading 700kbps - that's the max that I can do or else the stream will randomly freeze. (900x544 / 30fps / 700kbps)

I did the Wowza Server Tuning by changing the JAVA heap to 4000M from 768M.
    Referenced from -

That did not help. I am still stuck at an upload of 700kbps.

What else should I look into?

@ joexromero

How is your server tuned? Did you have to specially configure anything for your system to achieve such high bitrates? Is this served over WAN or LAN?

Just standard tuning with this guide Feed coming in over WAN and distributed in a origin-edge config with 4 servers to viewers.

You have bandwidth or encoder issues. What are you using for encoding? Have you checked that the encoder isn't restarting?

@joexromero and wowzek, just wanted to say thanks for helping out.

@Padre2k, this doesn't seem normal. I would suggest trying to do a bandwidth test between the two networks/computers. For example, an FTP transfer. If you're still limited to 700kbps, then it doesn't appear to be a Wowza issue. If you find your transfer rate is working as expected, I suggest opening a support ticket. See the guidelines here for submitting a support request:

Please include a link to this thread, and any other relevant information. Thanks.