Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Issues with JWPLAYER and Adaptive Bit Rate

Default Issues with JWPLAYER and Adaptive Bit Rate

Afraid that with all the steps I've managed to muddle my way through with setting up a working installation, I'm officially at my wit's end on this one.

I have an origin-edge setup with the edge running transcoder to generate multiple streams (using default template with audio set to disabled).

This much appears to work fine. I'm able to call the ngrp-based .m3u8 file directly from Safari on an iPad for example and it plays the video.

My objective is to be able to play the video across all* devices. I'm using JWPlayer for this. I'm not married to it by any means, I just need a proof of concept right now. This worked flawlessly when it was a simple live-live-repeater setup.

I have followed the instructions the best I could at http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....amic-Streaming

I do in fact get the RSS file when I call it. The contents are as follows:

<rss version="2.0" xmlns:media="http://search.yahoo.com/mrss/" xmlns:jwplayer="http://developer.longtailvideo.com/">
    	<channel>
    		<item>
    			<title>STREAM_all</title>
    			<description>STREAM_all</description>
    			<jwplayer:streamer>rtmp://EDGE_IP:1935/APP/_definst_</jwplayer:streamer>
    			<media:group>
    				<media:content url="mp4:STREAM_source" bitrate="51200" width="320" height="240"/>
    				<media:content url="mp4:STREAM_360p" bitrate="850" width="480" height="360"/>
    				<media:content url="mp4:STREAM_160p" bitrate="200" width="214" height="160"/>
    			</media:group>
    		</item>
    	</channel>
    </rss>
    But of course I end up with nothing on the screen as a result. On the PC with Firefox, I see absolutely nothing. Nothing indicated in page source either. On the iPad, I see a black box with the dimensions supplied in the JWPLAYER JS with a play arrow that does nothing.

It's probably worth noting that in the player's assigned DIV (mediaplayer), I do have text indicating JavaScript is required and that text disappears indicating to me that the JWPlayer is doing something with the container on all platforms, but I'm not seeing anything in way of video.

Any ideas? I tried following along with others having the issue in the aforementioned thread, but I have to be honest in that I'm not sure what to do. Copying the RSS contents to playlist.xml and specifying it as the playlistfile does not appear to work for me. I don't know how to use the debug player, if that's meant for client or host (client being PC, host being Linux).

Brad,

If it is just a white screen, you might have the .js or .swf file in a different place than you are referencing it.

Richard

fair enough, I ended up copying player.swf to the same folder as index.php (as opposed to jwplayer where it was) and now the box pops up along with the quality monitor display, but no video. clicking on the play arrow just ends up with an ajax circle going round and round indefinitely. confirmed again I was able to access the 'playlistfile' value directly by putting it into the address bar.

Are you connecting to Wowza? Run Wowza in stand-alone (/bin/startup.bat) mode so you can see log output in the console. When you click play you should see log output immediately, it might show ERROR or WARN messages but there should be something. Otherwise you are not connecting to Wowza.

You can take the RSS output and save it to a file alongside player.swf instead of using the link.

Richard

StreamManager and ngrp groups? Please explain what you are doing. From source, to encoder, to Wowza, to player.

Richard

Now I'm really losing it. When I look at the stream in the streammanager, my NGRPs are no longer listed. furthermore, the request for the RSS returns:

WARN server comment - HTTPProviderMediaList.onHTTPRequest: MediaList not found:

I really have no clue why the NGRPs aren't listed like they used to be.

StreamManager is used to start MediaCaster streams, for example IP cameras and mpeg-ts encoders?

StreamManager will not be listing ngrp groups.

What is the source?

If you explain what you are doing in more detail I can help.

Richard

Sorry.. after using VLC to investigate further, I realized that my origin server wasn't functioning properly, therefore the Edge was messing up. Now I brought everything back up and I do see the NGRPs in the stream manager of the transcoder/edge server and the RSS is being generated again.

So now it appears to be working fine (the problem was upstream so to speak). I can't tell you why I'm using stream manager to start the streams, but they don't start on their own and I haven't gotten to the point where I'm interested in figuring that out, but I will have to.

Now my remaining issue is incorporating mobile devices into it. I guess the RSS is strictly for flash devices, so I need to incorporate a fallback for HLS/HTML5 for the iOS devices. On that token, is there any way on the iOS device to tell what the bitrate is?

Thanks for the help so far, sorry I'm most of the problem.

I wanted to add my issue in this topic instead of openning a new one .

I am having trouble with wowza transcoder and jwplayer rss playlist.

Always saying , Playlist could not be loaded : No playable sources found.

Here is my embed code for jw player :

<head>
    <script src='http://s4.tilda.com.tr:8080/jwplayer/jwplayer.js'></script>
    </head>
    <div id='playerdiv'>Loading video player…</div>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    jwplayer( "playerdiv" ).setup( {
    playlist: "http://s4.tilda.com.tr/live/ngrp: onur_all/jwplayer.rss",
    primary: "flash",
    controls: true,
    width: "854",
    height: "480"