Wowza Media Systems™ regularly releases Wowza Streaming Engine™ media server software builds with new features and functionality. You can install the software on your computer using an installer, or if you already have Wowza Streaming Engine installed, you can update it with a build updater.
Note: If you have problems with or want to provide feedback about our software updates, contact Wowza Technical Support. To learn about the variety of support resources that we offer to our user community, see our Support Resources webpage.Wowza Streaming Engine software releases
Latest production release
Latest beta releases
Wowza Streaming Engine software releases
Wowza Streaming Engine currently has the following types of software updates:
- Production – Long-term supported builds with new features and bug fixes and full regression and performance testing for use in production environments.
- Patch – Between production releases, Wowza occasionally provides patch releases to fix bugs or regressions in the latest production release, which can be deployed in production environments for long-term stability. Patches undergo varying degrees of regression and performance testing, but generally not as much as a long-term supported production build.
- Beta – For early access to new features and improvements being developed, Wowza also provides betas between production releases. Although the improvements and enhancements have been tested by QA, full regression testing and performance testing hasn't been performed on beta builds, and they should only be used in testing environments. Support for beta builds is fully available, but there is no guarantee of hotfixes.
Latest production release
The latest Wowza Streaming Engine production build is Wowza Streaming Engine 4.8.17+1 build 20211216162410 released on December 21, 2021.
For a complete list of changes in this build, see the Wowza Streaming Engine 4.8.17 Release Notes.
Important: You do not need to update to Wowza Streaming Engine 4.8.17 to get the latest fixes for Apache Log4j2-related issues. You can simply run our Log4j2 Updater to get the latest Log4j2 files. Please note:
- Wowza Streaming Engine 4.8.17 does not contain a fix for CVE-2021-45105, which was fixed with Log4j 2.17.0. It only updates files to Log4j 2.16.0 for CVE-2021-44228 and CVE-2021-45046.
- Addressing recent Apache Log4j2 issues is a dynamic situation that we will continue to respond to based on Apache updates.
New features and functionality in Wowza Streaming Engine 4.8.17
Wowza Streaming Engine is a robust, customizable, and scalable media server software that powers reliable streaming of high-quality video and audio to any device, anywhere. Wowza Streaming Engine 4.8.17 includes an upgrade to Log4j 2.16.0 to address security vulnerabilities in Apache Log4j2 versions 2.15.0 and earlier (CVE-2021-44228 & CVE-2021-45046).
Logging in Wowza Streaming Engine 4.8.8.01 through 4.8.16 uses a version of Apache Log4j2 with security vulnerabilities involving JNDI functionality that is not protected against attacker-controlled LDAP and other JNDI-related endpoints.
Get the latest production release
- New Wowza Streaming Engine installation
Installers for the latest Wowza Streaming Engine production or patch build are available on our Downloads webpage and can be used to install a new Wowza Streaming Engine instance.
- Update an existing Wowza Streaming Engine installation
To update a Wowza Streaming Engine installation, sign in to your Account Management page using your Wowza account and then check the Downloads tab for the latest updater for your Wowza Streaming Engine version. You must have an active Maintenance and Support contract to receive updaters. For more information, see Wowza Streaming Engine Maintenance and Support.
Patch updates to the latest production release
There is no available patch release for Wowza Streaming Engine 4.8.17 at this time.
Latest beta releases
Between production software releases, Wowza produces beta builds so you can get the latest bug fixes and improvements for Wowza Streaming Engine and get early access to new features being developed. Although the improvements and enhancements have been tested by QA, full regression testing and performance testing hasn't been performed on beta builds, and they should only be used in testing environments. Support for beta builds is fully available, but there is no guarantee of hotfixes. Download the latest beta release updater from the Downloads tab of My Account. See Update your Wowza Streaming Engine installation for installation instructions.
There is no available beta release at this time.