Wowza Media Systems™ regularly releases Wowza Streaming Engine™ media server software builds with new features and functionality. You can install the software on your computer using an installer, or if you already have Wowza Streaming Engine installed, you can update it with a build updater.
Note: If you have problems with or want to provide feedback about our software updates, contact Wowza Technical Support. To learn about the variety of support resources that we offer to our user community, see our Support Resources webpage.Wowza Streaming Engine software releases
Latest production release
Latest beta releases
Wowza Streaming Engine software releases
Wowza Streaming Engine currently has the following types of software updates:
- Production – Long-term supported builds with new features and bug fixes and full regression and performance testing for use in production environments.
- Patch – Between production releases, Wowza occasionally provides patch releases to fix bugs or regressions in the latest production release, which can be deployed in production environments for long-term stability. Patches undergo varying degrees of regression and performance testing, but generally not as much as a long-term supported production build.
- Beta – For early access to new features and improvements being developed, Wowza also provides betas between production releases. Although the improvements and enhancements have been tested by QA, full regression testing and performance testing hasn't been performed on beta builds, and they should only be used in testing environments. Support for beta builds is fully available, but there is no guarantee of hotfixes.
Latest production release
The latest Wowza Streaming Engine production build is Wowza Streaming Engine 4.8.14+9 build 20210719152831 released on July 20, 2021.
For a complete list of changes in this build, see the Wowza Streaming Engine 4.8.14 Release Notes.
New features and functionality in Wowza Streaming Engine 4.8.14
Wowza Streaming Engine is a robust, customizable, and scalable media server software that powers reliable streaming of high-quality video and audio to any device, anywhere. Wowza Streaming Engine 4.8.14 contains several enhancements and fixes that help to improve the functionality of the media server software.
Upgrade to CUDA 11
With Wowza Streaming Engine 4.8.14, we've upgraded CUDA support to CUDA 11 for NVIDIA GPU-accelerated live stream transcoding. This upgrade supports using the latest NVIDIA drivers for transcoding at greater scale and speed. The NVIDIA microarchitecture of your hardware must support CUDA 11, and using NVIDIA driver version 460.00 or later is required.
With this upgrade, using Kepler GPUs and CUDA decoding are not supported. For NVIDIA accelerated decoding, use the NVCUVID (also known as NVDEC) implementation instead. For more information about NVIDIA hardware acceleration, see the following the article:
Beamr replacement of MainConcept for H.264 and HEVC/H.265 transcoding
This release sunsets support for MainConcept H.264 and HEVC/H.265 video transcoding and updates the Default encoding and decoding implementations for H.264 and HEVC/H.265 video to Beamr. Beamr is a state-of-the-art encoder and decoder for high quality video and efficient transcoding. If you update to Wowza Streaming Engine 4.8.14 from an earlier version, existing Transcoder templates that use the Default encoding or decoding implementation for H.264 and HEVC/H.265 video will automatically start using Beamr. For more information about using Beamr, see the following the article:
Get the latest production release
- New Wowza Streaming Engine installation
Installers for the latest Wowza Streaming Engine production or patch build are available on our Downloads webpage and can be used to install a new Wowza Streaming Engine instance.
- Update an existing Wowza Streaming Engine installation
To update a Wowza Streaming Engine installation, sign in to your Account Management page using your Wowza account and then check the Downloads tab for the latest updater for your Wowza Streaming Engine version. You must have an active Maintenance and Support contract to receive updaters. For more information, see Wowza Streaming Engine Maintenance and Support.
Patch updates to the latest production release
There is no available patch release for Wowza Streaming Engine 4.8.14 at this time.
Latest beta releases
Between production software releases, Wowza produces beta builds so you can get the latest bug fixes and improvements for Wowza Streaming Engine and get early access to new features being developed. Although the improvements and enhancements have been tested by QA, full regression testing and performance testing hasn't been performed on beta builds, and they should only be used in testing environments. Support for beta builds is fully available, but there is no guarantee of hotfixes. Download the latest beta release updater from the Downloads tab of My Account. See Update your Wowza Streaming Engine installation for installation instructions.
There is no available beta release at this time.