With Wowza Streaming Engine™ 4.7.3 and later, you can ingest Secure Reliable Transport (SRT) streams and deliver the streams to viewers with the Stream Targets feature. This article describes how to configure Wowza Streaming Engine to ingest SRT streams and deliver them to an SRT destination for viewers.
- Wowza Streaming Engine must be installed on Linux or Windows to support SRT streaming.
- Support for ingesting SRT content with stream files was added to Wowza Streaming Engine 4.7.2, but the full workflow of delivering the stream to SRT destinations requires version 4.7.3 or later.
- Wowza Streaming Engine supports SRT version 1.1, and can only be used to ingest and send MPEG-TS packaged SRT content.
Configure Wowza Streaming Engine to ingest the SRT stream
To ingest an SRT stream, you must create a stream file that's configured with SRT-specific properties.
- First, follow the instructions in Create and use .stream files in Wowza Streaming Engine to create the stream file. Note that it is important to use the IP address of the server hosting the SRT stream as the Stream URI.
- In Wowza Streaming Engine Manager, click the Application tab at the top of the page, and then click Stream Files in the left panel.
- Click the name of the stream file you want to configure in the Stream Files list, and then click the Properties tab.
Note: Access to the Properties tab is limited to administrators with advanced permissions. For more information about how to configure access, see Manage credentials.
- On the Properties tab, there are two sets of properties: Common properties, which can be configured for any stream type, and SRT-specific properties, which are unique for the source stream URI that's specified in the stream file. Depending on how you've configured your SRT stream, you may need to use both sets of properties. For more information, see Specify SRT stream (srt://) settings.
To enable a property, click Edit and then select the Enabled check box for the property. The property will be enabled with a default value that you can change in the Value box.
- Click Save.
Deliver the SRT stream
There are two ways to output an ingested SRT stream: either you can let Wowza Streaming Engine transmux the SRT stream into a supported playback format or you can use an SRT stream target.
Wowza Streaming Engine live applications are configured by default to transmux ingested SRT streams into the supported playback types: MPEG-DASH, Apple HLS, Adobe RTMP, Adobe HDS, Microsoft Smooth Streaming, and RTSP/RTP. This makes it easy to deliver the stream to a variety of players. Even if you choose to use an SRT stream target, you will also have the ability to deliver your SRT stream to viewers using these alternative playback types.
Alternatively, or additionally, you can use the Stream Targets feature in Wowza Streaming Engine. Stream Targets allow you to send live streams to widely distributed destinations. For example, you can send a live stream from Wowza Streaming Engine to any SRT destination and use the SRT destination to deliver the stream to viewers. For more information, see Use SRT to distribute live streams from Wowza Streaming Engine.
Test the SRT stream using video test players
After creating and configuring the .stream file, Wowza Streaming Engine can use the MediaCaster system to re-stream the live SRT stream. MediaCaster can pull the stream that is referenced in a stream file and make it available for streaming to all player technologies supported by Wowza Streaming Engine.To test the SRT stream, in Wowza Streaming Engine Manager, click Test Players in the upper-right corner of the live application page. The Test Players window that opens includes test players that are pre-configured to stream a live stream named myStream over various streaming formats.
Each tab in the Test Players window either hosts a test player that you can use to play the live stream or provides instructions for playing the live stream. For example, to use the Adobe HDS protocol to play srt.stream, click the Adobe HDS tab, enter the information below, and then click Start.
- Server: Enter [wowza-ip-address]:1935.
- Application: Enter live.
- Stream: Enter srt.stream.
You can also test your live stream by using the test players online on our Wowza Test Players webpage, or by using the example players that install with Wowza Streaming Engine at [install-dir]/examples/. For more information, see any of these articles:
- Play streams with the Adobe RTMP example player in Wowza Streaming Engine
- Play streams with Adobe HDS example player in Wowza Streaming Engine
- Play streams with the Silverlight example player in Wowza Streaming Engine
- Play streams with the MPEG-DASH example player in Wowza Streaming Engine
- Play Wowza Streaming Engine streams on Apple iOS devices
- Play Wowza Streaming Engine streams on RTSP/RTP players