For Wowza Video subscribers, we've made Wowza Flowplayer the default player for new live streams. We'll soon discontinue use of THEOplayer, which powered our previously released Wowza Video Player. On June 15, 2023, we'll be updating all existing live streams from Wowza Video Player to the newly incorporated Wowza Flowplayer.
We understand that you may have some questions, so we have included a list of those most commonly asked below.
What can I expect from the update to Wowza Flowplayer?
- Running streams — While we expect to make this update during a planned maintenance window, you might experience downtime while we make the change. If you use the embed code on your site, after the update you'll need to replace that code with the new code we generate for you. The new embed code will be found on the Overview tab for your live stream.
- Non-running streams — You'll notice the updated player on the Playback tab for your live stream. If you use the embed code on your site, after the update you'll need to replace that code with the new code we generate for you. The new embed code will be found on the Overview tab for your live stream.
What are the benefits of switching to Wowza Flowplayer?
- By having a Wowza Video subscription and a player token, you can access feature rich SDKs to enable building the player into your workflows that are inside of your applications.
- You will have access to hosted pages that will provide easy and accessible playback to your users.
See About Wowza Flowplayer to learn more.
Can I manually update to the new player?
Yes. We do recommend that you make this update yourself. To update your player to Wowza Flowplayer:
- Navigate to your stream and then click Playback tab.
- Click Edit and select Wowza Flowplayer.
- Save your update.
Once you have completed the change to the new player, be sure to update any references to the new embed code that has been generated. You'll find the new embed code on the Overview tab for your live stream.
When do I need to update my player?
At this time, all new live streams you create use Wowza Flowplayer. Updating all live streams that use Wowza Video Player will take place on June 15, 2023.
If you are currently using an embed code with Wowza Video Player, once the update occurs, you'll need to replace the embed code you're using with the new one we generate for you. You'll find the new embed code on the Overview tab for your live stream.
I have chosen to not use the embed code provided with my live stream. Is there someone who can help me with the move to Wowza Flowplayer?
Yes. Please contact our support team by either placing a ticket through your user portal or by emailing email@example.com.
Will the new player result in any additional costs?
No. This player is included in your Wowza Video subscription.
Will my streams be deleted?
No. The only setting changing is the player that is selected for that live stream.
How long will I have access to my current player selection?
You will have access until June 15, 2023. After this date, your player selection will be updated to Wowza Flowplayer.