Learn how to use NewTek TriCaster as the video source for a Wowza Video™ live stream. NewTek TriCaster, an integrated video production and streaming system, can capture, encode, and publish live video to the Wowza Video service. When you choose NewTek as your video source, Wowza Video generates a connection settings file that you can use to easily connect TriCaster to Wowza Video.
To learn about other live stream settings you might see in the user interface, see Live Stream Setup page in Wowza Video.
1. Create a live stream
If you haven't already done so, create a live stream in Wowza Video that uses NewTek TriCaster as the video source.
- Sign in to Wowza Video.
- Click Add Live Stream.
- On the Live Stream Setup page, enter a Live Stream Name, choose a Broadcast Location, and then click Next.
- On the Video Source and Transcoder Settings page, select NewTek TriCaster as the encoder you want to use to connect to Wowza Video.
- Specify other video source settings, click Next, and complete the steps to finish creating the live stream.
Wowza Video creates the live stream and displays the Overview tab of the live stream detail page.
2. Connect NewTek TriCaster to Wowza Video
After you've added a live stream in Wowza Video, configure TriCaster to connect to it.
- Connect TriCaster to the Internet, and then click the Configure gear icon that's next to the Stream button in TriCaster Dashboard.
- Do one of the following:
- (Standard Edition) In the Configure Stream Connection panel, enter video.wowza.com in the URL field and then press Enter.
- (Advanced Edition) Choose New Connection and then choose Wowza. Then, in the Auto-Config Connection window, click Visit Website.
- Sign in to Wowza Video using your Wowza credentials.
- In the Wowza Video user interface, select the live stream that uses TriCaster as its video source.
- In the Streaming Setup window that appears, click OK to automatically configure your TriCaster stream.
- Configure any other required settings in TriCaster Dashboard.
3. Test the connection
- In Wowza Video, select the live stream that uses NewTek TriCaster as its video source.
- Click Start Live Stream at the top of the live stream detail page.
- Click Start to confirm that you want to start the stream.
Wowza Video opens the stream and connects with TriCaster.
- Start your video source in TriCaster Dashboard.
- In the Wowza Video web manager, confirm that the live stream is playing by looking at the Video Preview in the Overview tab of the Live Stream Details page.
The video preview displays a frame from the live stream every 5 seconds. The started date and time appear under the preview. Source stream, transcoder, and delivery metrics begin to update.
- Click Stop Live Stream at the top of the live stream detail page to end your test stream, and then stop the stream in TriCaster.
Note: If you configure a camera or encoder to push video to the Wowza Video service, it may take up to 10 seconds once the live stream or transcoder has started for the encoder to connect. This is due to DNS lookup of the host server's IP address. For a more immediate connection, in the encoder settings, use the IP address that's visible in Wowza Video after the live stream or transcoder has started. See Speed up the connection to a transcoder in Wowza Video for more information.