Learn how to use an Axis network IP camera as the video source for a Wowza Video™ live stream. Professional network cameras from Axis Communications allow you to capture live video over the Internet for video surveillance and security.
You can set up the Axis network camera first, or set up the live stream in Wowza Video first. Either way, when you start the live stream in Wowza Video, it will periodically try to connect to the camera until the camera comes online.
To learn about other live stream settings you might see in the user interface, see Live Stream Setup page in Wowza Video.
If you haven't already done so, create a live stream in Wowza Video that uses an Axis network camera as the video source.
- Sign in to Wowza Video.
- Click Add Live Stream.
- On the Live Stream Setup page, enter a Live Stream Name, choose a Broadcast Location, and then click Next.
- On the Video Source and Transcoder Settings page, select Axis as the camera you want to use to connect to Wowza Video.
- Enter the camera's Source URL, which should be in the form rtsp://[username]:[password]@[ip_address]/axis-media/media.amp. See your Axis camera user guide or the Axis online helpdesk for details about the camera's IP address.
- Specify other video source settings, and make sure to select the same Aspect Ratio that you use in your camera settings.
- Click Next, and complete the steps to finish creating the live stream.
2. Set up the Axis camera
Make sure you have the latest firmware for your camera installed. Again, see your Axis camera user guide or the Axis online helpdesk for details about how to operate the camera and adjust settings such as resolution, bitrate, and frame rate.
When streaming from an Axis network camera to Wowza Video, set the camera's keyframe interval to 60 fps for NTSC or 50 fps for PAL.
3. Test the connection
- In Wowza Video, select the live stream that uses the Axis camera as its video source.
- Click Start Live Stream at the top of the live stream detail page.
- Click Start to confirm that you want to start the stream.
Wowza Video opens the stream and connects with the camera.
- In the Axis Media Control viewer toolbar, start the camera.
- In the Wowza Video web manager, confirm that the live stream is playing by looking at the Video Preview in the Overview tab of the Live Stream Details page.
The video preview displays a frame from the live stream every 5 seconds. The started date and time appear under the preview. Source stream, transcoder, and delivery metrics begin to update.
- Click Stop Live Stream at the top of the live stream detail page to end your test stream, and then stop the Axis camera.