Use the Media Cache read-through caching mechanism to cache DVR chunks on edge servers in a multi-server configuration of Wowza Streaming Engine™ media server software.
Before you start
You should complete the following tasks:
- Set up a live stream repeater configuration to stream nDVR content from origin to edge(s) servers according to Set up a Wowza Streaming Engine live stream repeater for nDVR.
Enable nDVR media caching
On each edge server, complete the following steps:
- In Wowza Streaming Engine Manager, click the Applications tab and then select your live nDVR application in the contents panel.
- In the contents panel, click nDVR.
- If nDVR isn't enabled, in the details page, click Enable nDVR, and then restart the application when prompted to enable the feature.
- Your application is configured to use nDVR if a green checkmark is displayed next to the Use Media Cache option in the details page. If a red checkmark is displayed next to this option, click Edit, select the Use Media Cache checkbox, and then click Save.
- Restart the application when prompted to apply this change.
When Use Media Cache is enabled, the following property is added to the application's Application.xml file within the <Application>/<DVR>/<Properties> container element as in the following example:
<Property> <Name>dvrMediaCacheEnabled</Name> <Value>true</Value> <Type>Boolean</Type> </Property>
Manage nDVR media caching
For nDVR workflows, you must use the default Media Cache source named dvrorigin. In Wowza Streaming Engine, dvrorigin is automatically installed and available for use.
For most deployments, the default settings for DVR chunk caching should be adequate.