This article describes how to play video on demand (VOD) and live streams on RTSP/RTP-based players.
Video On Demand (VOD) playback Live playback
Video On Demand (VOD) playback
This section describes how to play the default [install-dir]/content/sample.mp4 video file from an application named vod. If your video file has a different name or if you're streaming from an application that has a different name, be sure to substitute the values in the sample URLs in this section.
- If you use the example players in a Wowza Streaming Engine™ 4.0 software installation, the MP4 stream format is the default and you're not required to use the mp4: stream name prefix to play the sample video file. For example:
If you use the example players in a Wowza Media Server™ software installation, the FLV stream format is the default and you MUST use the mp4: stream name prefix to play the sample video file. For example:
- Wowza Streaming Engine 4.0 is the latest version of the Wowza media server software formerly known as "Wowza Media Server."
Enter the following URL into the RTSP/RTP player:
Playback of content outside of the content rootTo play content that's not in the content root folder ([install-dir]/content), you must add the default application instance name to the playback URL. For example, if the sample.mp4 video file is in [install-dir]/myVideos/sample.mp4, the playback URL is:
This section describes how to play a live stream named myStream from an application named live. If your live stream has a different name or if you're streaming from an application that has a different name, be sure to substitute the values in the sample URLs in this section.
For details about how to send a stream from your encoder to a Wowza media server, see one of the following live streaming tutorials:
- How to set up live streaming using an RTMP-based encoder
- How to set up live streaming using an RTSP/RTP-based encoder
- How to publish and play a live stream (MPEG-TS based encoder)
- How to set up live streaming using a native RTP encoder with SDP file
- How to re-stream video from an IP camera (RTSP/RTP re-streaming)
- How to do basic server-side publishing with Stream class streams
- How to troubleshoot RTSP/RTP playback
- How to set up an application for RTSP/RTP streaming
- How to configure Apple QuickTime player for RTSP/RTP playback on Windows
- How to configure VLC player for RTSP/RTP playback (RTSP/RTP interleaved and tuning)
If you're having problems or want to discuss this article, post in our forum.