Wowza ClearCaster™ is a high-quality coding and broadcast solution designed for professionals looking for an easy and reliable way to broadcast to any RTMP destination. The ClearCaster appliance allows automatic configuration and monitoring of broadcast health in real time.
Connect the Wowza ClearCaster
B. HDMI outputs
C. Ethernet 1
D. SDI input
E. HDMI input
F. USB ports
Connect the equipment
- Review the Wowza ClearCaster safety information.
- Connect the power cord from the connector (A) to a power source.
- Optional (but recommended): Connect an external monitor to the HDMI output port (B).
- Connect the Ethernet cable to the Ethernet 1 port (C).
- Connect an SDI/HDMI-capable video source to the SDI input port (D) or the HDMI input port (E).
Stream video from Wowza ClearCaster to Wowza Streaming Cloud
With Wowza ClearCaster in universal mode, available in software version 2.0.0.07 and later, you can stream to any RTMP destination, including the Wowza Streaming Cloud™ service; a Wowza Streaming Engine instance; or video-sharing websites such as Facebook, YouTube, Twitch, and Twitter. See Create and manage Wowza ClearCaster broadcasts in universal mode for more information about live streaming options in universal mode.
In this example, you'll stream to Wowza Streaming Cloud. You'll need access to the Wowza Streaming Cloud service and a Wowza account in addition to your ClearCaster appliance.
|A. Power button
B. Network connection status
C. LCD (display)
D. Destination connection status
E. Video connection status
F. Broadcast status
G. LCD menu controls
Prepare and register the ClearCaster appliance
- Turn on the power (A) and verify that your ClearCaster appliance is connected to the Internet (B).
- On a computer, sign in to Wowza ClearCaster Manager at clearcaster.wowza.com with your Wowza account, and ensure that the toggle at the top points to Facebook mode.
Note: Activation from Facebook mode affects the appliance regardless of the mode used for operation.
- Use the code in the LCD screen (C) to register the ClearCaster appliance.
- Turn on the video source (E) that is connected to the SDI/HDMI input port.
Create a live stream in Wowza Streaming Cloud
To connect your ClearCaster appliance as a video source for Wowza Streaming Cloud, you first need to create a live stream and generate a stream name and Server URL.
- Sign in to Wowza Streaming Cloud.
- Follow the steps in the Wowza Streaming Cloud getting started article to Add a live stream, making sure to do the following:
- When asked What camera or encoder will you use to connect to Wowza Streaming Cloud?, select Wowza ClearCaster.
- Note the Source Connection Information on the Overview tab. You'll use the values in that section when creating your ClearCaster broadcast so that the appliance can communicate with Wowza Streaming Cloud. Note the Hosted Page URL or Playback URLs on the Overview tab for playing a test stream.
Create a broadcast in Wowza ClearCaster Manager
Next, you'll create a broadcast in Wowza ClearCaster Manager to send the stream from your ClearCaster appliance to Wowza Streaming Cloud.
- Go to universal.clearcaster.com or set the toggle at the top of Wowza ClearCaster Manager to Universal mode.
- Click on Broadcasts in the menu bar, and then click Create Broadcast.
- In the Create Broadcast dialog, enter the following settings:
- Broadcast Name - Enter a name for the broadcast. We recommend a descriptive name, such as including the destination and output, so that it can easily be identified and managed on the Broadcasts page.
- ClearCaster - Select the ClearCaster appliance registered to your Wowza account that you want to use for the broadcast.
- Destination - Select the destination to which you want to publish your broadcast. For this example, select Wowza to stream to the Wowza Streaming Cloud service.
- Encoding Template - Select one of the encoding templates that are pre-tuned specifically for your destination or special broadcast configuration. For this example, select Wowza 1080p30.
- Server URL - Enter the Primary Server value for the Wowza Streaming Cloud live stream.
- Enter Server Authentication - Enter the Source Username and Source Password values for the Wowza Streaming Cloud live stream.
- Stream Name/Key - Enter the Stream Name value for the Wowza Streaming Cloud live stream.
- Enable Titling and Graphics - If you'd like to use browser-based overlay and graphics sources, check the box and enter the graphics URL.
- Enable Engineering View - Check this box if you want to use the engineering view on your external monitor attached to the ClearCaster appliance to monitor the broadcast.
- Click Create Broadcast.
Test your broadcast
Now that everything is set up, you can test your stream.
- Make sure that the video source that is connected to the SDI/HDMI input port on the Wowza ClearCaster is on.
- In Wowza Streaming Cloud, go to the Live Streams page, select your live stream, and click Start Live Stream on the live stream details page.
The stream may take up to a minute to start.
- In Wowza ClearCaster Manager, on the Broadcasts page, find the broadcast and click Go Live.
Wowza ClearCaster begins encoding your video source and sending it to Wowza Streaming Cloud.
- View your test stream at the Wowza Streaming Cloud Hosted Page URL or in the Wowza Streaming Cloud thumbnail view, or use the live stream Playback URL to test the stream in a player of your choice.
- To end the live broadcast when you're done testing, in Wowza Streaming Cloud, click Stop Live Stream.
- In Wowza Clearcaster Manager, find the broadcast on the Broadcasts page and click Stop Broadcast. The broadcast will remain visible on the Broadcasts page for future use.