Wowza ClearCaster™ is a high-quality encoding and broadcast solution designed for professionals looking for an easy and reliable way to broadcast to any RTMP destination. The ClearCaster appliance allows automatic configuration and monitoring of broadcast health in real-time.
Connect the Wowza ClearCaster
B. HDMI outputs
C. Ethernet 1
D. SDI input
E. HDMI input
F. USB ports
- Review the Wowza ClearCaster safety information.
- Connect the power cord from the connector (A) to a power source.
- Optional (but recommended): Connect an external monitor to the HDMI output port (B).
- Connect the Ethernet cable to the Ethernet 1 port (C).
- Connect an SDI/HDMI-capable video source to the SDI input port (D) or the HDMI input port (E).
Stream video from Wowza ClearCaster to YouTube Live
With Wowza ClearCaster Pro in universal mode, you can stream to any RTMP destination, including the Wowza Streaming Cloud™ service; a Wowza Streaming Engine instance; or video-sharing websites such as Facebook, YouTube, Twitch, and Twitter. See Create and manage Wowza ClearCaster broadcasts in universal mode for more information about live streaming options in universal mode.
In this example, you'll stream to YouTube Live. You'll need access to a channel on YouTube and a Wowza account in addition to your ClearCaster appliance.
|A. Power button
B. Network connection status
C. LCD (display)
D. Destination connection status
E. Video connection status
F. Broadcast status
G. LCD menu controls
Prepare and register the ClearCaster appliance
- Turn on the power (A) and verify that your ClearCaster appliance is connected to the Internet (B).
- On a computer, sign in to Wowza ClearCaster Manager at clearcaster.wowza.com with your Wowza account.
- Click Manage in the menu bar, and use the code in the ClearCaster LCD screen (C) to activate and register the appliance.
- Turn on the video source (E) that is connected to the SDI/HDMI input port.
Create a live stream in YouTube Studio
To connect your ClearCaster appliance as a video source for YouTube Live, you first need to set up a live stream in YouTube Studio beta. For more information about using the beta version of YouTube Creator Studio, see the YouTube help article Intro to YouTube Studio beta.
- Go to the YouTube Studio beta Live Streaming page and sign in with your Google credentials.
- On the Stream tab, if given the option to choose between copying an existing stream or creating a new stream, click New Stream.
- In the New stream dialog box, enter a title, privacy level, description, category, and other details for the live stream. Then click Create Stream.
- Note the Stream URL and the Stream name/key that YouTube generates. You'll use those values when creating your ClearCaster broadcast so that the appliance can communicate with YouTube.
Create a broadcast in Wowza ClearCaster Manager
Next, you'll create a broadcast in Wowza ClearCaster Manager to send the stream from your ClearCaster appliance to YouTube.
- Go to clearcaster.wowza.com, click Broadcast in the menu bar, and then click Create Broadcast.
- In the Create Broadcast dialog, enter the following settings:
- Broadcast Name - Enter a name for the broadcast. We recommend a descriptive name, such as including the destination and output, so that it can easily be identified and managed on the Broadcast page.
- ClearCaster - Select the ClearCaster appliance registered to your Wowza account that you want to use for the broadcast.
- Destination - Select the destination to which you want to publish your broadcast. For this example, select YouTube to stream to YouTube Live.
- Encoding Template - Select one of the encoding templates that are pre-tuned specifically for your destination or special broadcast configuration. For this example, select YouTube 1080p30.
- Server URL - Enter the Stream URL value for the YouTube stream.
- Stream Name/Key - Enter the Stream name/key value for the YouTube stream.
- Record Broadcast - Check this box if you want to record this broadcast each time it goes live.
- Graphics - If you want to include graphics, select a built-in graphics package or select Custom and enter a graphics URL.
- Enable Engineering View - Check this box if you want to use the engineering view on your external monitor attached to the ClearCaster appliance to monitor the broadcast.
- Click Create Broadcast.
Test your live stream
Now that everything is set up, you can test your stream.
- Make sure that the video source that is connected to the SDI/HDMI input port on the ClearCaster appliance is on.
- In Wowza ClearCaster Manager, on the Broadcast page, find the broadcast and click Go Live.
Wowza ClearCaster begins encoding your video source and sending it to YouTube Live.
- In YouTube Studio, in the Stream preview dialog box, click Go Live.
The stream from your ClearCaster appliance is now live on YouTube.
- To end the live broadcast when you're done testing, in YouTube Studio, click End Stream.
- In Wowza Clearcaster Manager, find the broadcast on the Broadcast page and click Stop Broadcast. The broadcast will remain visible on the Broadcast page for future use.