Wowza Community

RTP/RTSP over SSL

Charlie,Richard,randall

Hi. I just wanted to verify. Wowza has no support for RTSP over SSL connections? (either ingress or egress) Is this still the case with 3.6?

Regards,

Bryan

Hi,

I can’t see why Wowza would not support RTSP over SSL for the outbound stream, however the playing client would also have to support this too.

Jason

Thanks Jason,

I’m just not that familiar with setting up outgoing over SSL then. If there is anything you could point me to that would be greatly appreciated. I see that there is plenty of mention of doing SSL over RTMP. Just nothing mentioned about RTP or RTSP.

So just to clarify, RTSP over SSL inbound/ingress is definitely not supported though?

Bryan

Hi,

I don’t know this area in depth either to be honest but in theory the SSL shouldn’t make much difference if the client supports the protocol and the secure socket can be negotiated.

This, (in theory) is true for both inbound and outbound connections.

I agree RTP/RTSP is not mentioned in the StreamLock article,

How to get SSL certificates from the StreamLock service

I’ve not heard of a client that supports RTSP over SSL but this does not mean they don’t exist.

Jason

I was recommend place a LB infront of my Wowza for SSL offloading so you can load the m3u8 over SSL. I was also told you can do that quite easily using HA Proxy for example. It is explained how to accomplish this here for RTMP but the same can obviously done with HTTP:

https://github.com/arut/nginx-rtmp-module/issues/457#issuecomment-250783255

Note, I have not tried this yet and I am unclear on exactly the proper use scenario. Hope this is helpful.