Make your live streaming workflow more efficient with transcoding.
Transcoding with Wowza™ technology lets you refine your live encoding and streaming workflow, saving on upload bandwidth while delivering the best-possible-quality streams to each user’s specific device.
What Is Transcoding and How Does It Impact Streaming Quality?
A Typical Workflow for Live Transcoding
Reach Any Viewer in the World with Adaptive Streaming
Wowza technology can automatically transrate the incoming stream to create streams of various bitrates and dynamically serve the right one to each viewer based on his or her bandwidth—giving audiences from Silicon Valley to Mount Everest the best-possible viewing experience.
Simplify What You Need on Premises
Transcoding lets you realize huge savings in your live encoding workflow by minimizing hardware costs, onsite bandwidth issues, and infrastructure complexity. By moving heavy processing tasks from the input location to a cloud-based system or an offsite server, you no longer need to buy expensive heavy-duty hardware encoders. Instead, you can send a single encoded stream out and use Wowza transcoding to complete your workflow with a Wowza product or service.
Overlay Static and Dynamic Images
The Wowza Transcoder feature allows you to overlay static and dynamic images on top of video by using a Java-based API. It can be configured manually or pre-programmed based on external events, making it a powerful tool for adding premium TV-like experiences. Use cases include the following:
- Company logos or symbols
- Sports/stock tickers
Easily Convert from One Codec to Another to Deliver to Every Device
Whether you use Wowza Streaming Engine™ software or the Wowza Streaming Cloud™ service, you send a single audio/video stream to the Wowza server/service. Wowza changes that stream’s format into others on the fly to match your viewers’ device type for universal compatibility with set-top boxes, game consoles, smartphones, tablets, and desktop and laptop computers.
Transcoding with Wowza Streaming Engine
- Customize your streams with a powerful server-side REST API.
- Modify the built-in transcoding profiles to suit your needs.
- Configure static and dynamic video overlays for closed captioning, breaking news, advertising, and more.
- Push as many streams as you want to Wowza Streaming Engine, and transcode them all for no extra cost.
Transcoding with Wowza Streaming Cloud
- Save on outbound bandwidth—output a single high-resolution stream and let Wowza Streaming Cloud create various renditions adaptively.
- Start transcoding in seconds, with no setup or configuration required.
- Utilize Wowza Streaming Cloud as an end-to-end service or use only the transcoding aspect.
Wowza Transcoder Specifications
- Video: H.265/HEVC, H.264/AVC, MPEG4 Part 2, MPEG2, VP9, VP8
- Audio: MP3, AAC, AAC-LC, HE-AAC+ v1 & v2, MPEG1 Part 1/2, Speex, G.711, Opus, Vorbis
- Video: H.265/HEVC, H.264/AVC, H.263 (v2), VP9
- Audio: AAC, AAC-LC, HE-AAC+ v1 & v2, Opus, G.711