Wowza Streaming Engine Now Supports WebRTC PreviewJune 14, 2016
Wowza Streaming Engine is previewing support for WebRTC.
- Traditional WebRTC solutions require that each of the participants in a video chat session maintain direct connections to each of the other session participants, creating a significant bandwidth load that increases exponentially as participants are added. With Wowza Streaming Engine each participant is only required to send a single stream, optimizing bandwidth usage.
- Wowza Streaming Engine software can ingest, record, transmux and/or transcode WebRTC content into other streaming protocols, including Apple HLS, HDS, RTMP, RTSP, and Smooth Streaming.
- Wowza Streaming Engine can ingest content in WebRTC and other protocols. Content in those other protocols can then be transmuxed into WebRTC to stream to browser-based, no-plug-in-required players.
Check out this four-minute video overview:
WebRTC for Video Chat
With WebRTC for video chat, Wowza Streaming Engine can facilitate and simplify establishing multi-person WebRTC chat sessions with any number of participants.
WebRTC Support in Wowza Transcoder
Transcoder enhancements for Wowza Streaming Engine include the addition of video and audio codecs to support WebRTC. Wowza Streaming Engine version 4.4.0 supports the following:
- WebRTC ingestion
- WebRTC playback
- Transcoder support to decode/encode VP8 and VP9 video and Vorbis/Opus audio codecs
- Input and output of VP8/VP9, Vorbis, and Opus via RTSP/RTP
- HTTP provider to do WebRTC SDP exchange
- Generic command implementation
- Ability to record using the transcoder in H.264/AAC MP4 format
- TCP support
Get additional details on Wowza Streaming Engine WebRTC support.