Wowza Streaming Engine version 4.3 has been released!October 12, 2015
We’re back from a great show at IBC 2015 and have been hard at work on the next version of Wowza Streaming Engine. We can’t wait to get it into your hands.
Wowza Streaming Engine version 4.3 highlights:
- Wowza Streaming Engine REST API 1.0. Wowza Streaming Engine 4.3 software enables full access to the Wowza Streaming Engine REST API with your Wowza Streaming Engine software license key. You can use the REST API to configure, manage, and monitor the media server through HTTP requests. Be sure to check out our cURL examples that demonstrate how to to query the Wowza REST service to manage Wowza Streaming Engine software. For more information, see our REST APIs article.
- APIs for live-to-VOD clip extraction. This release of Wowza Streaming Engine software has new APIs that enable you to extract clips—based on a start time and duration that you specify—both from single-bitrate DVR streams and from DVR streams in an adaptive bitrate streaming group in the Wowza nDVR store. For instructions on how to use the Java-based APIs, see the Wowza Streaming Engine server-side API (pdf) documentation. For instructions on how to use the REST API endpoints, see our REST API cURL examples.
- Affordable CDN delivery with Wowza Streaming Cloud. Select Wowza Streaming Cloud as a stream target in Wowza Streaming Engine Manager to allow seamless CDN distribution for your live streams. The Stream Targets feature in Wowza Streaming Engine 4.3 has a new option that enables you to deliver transcoded live streaming output renditions as a group from Wowza Streaming Engine software to the Wowza Streaming Cloud service. This option gives you the ability to shift the transcoding workload from Wowza Streaming Cloud to Wowza Streaming Engine for media server configurations that have high available bandwidth and sufficient CPU resources. For more information, see How to stream to Wowza Streaming Cloud.
- HEVC/H.265 video over Apple HLS (preview). Wowza Streaming Engine 4.3 software adds playback support for the High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC; also called H.265) format over Apple HLS as a preview of functionality that may be updated in a later Wowza Streaming Engine software release. You can configure a template in Wowza Transcoder to transcode live video streams to HEVC/H.265 output renditions suitable for devices that can play HEVC-encoded video over Apple HLS. For more information, see How to stream using HEVC/H.265 transcoding.
The Wowza Streaming Engine version 4.3 release notes contain details on everything that’s included in this release.
- Download Wowza Streaming Engine full installer (for new installations).
- For updates to existing installations, sign in to your account portal and click My Downloads.
As always, we want to hear from you! Please send your thoughts to email@example.com. We’re always listening.