SAN JOSE, Calif., February 21, 2007 – Wowza Media Systems today announced that its Wowza Media Server Pro has been named Streaming Media Magazine's 2007 Editors' Pick. Wowza Media Server Pro, a high-performance alternative to AdobeÂ® Flash Media Server, received this honor for dramatically improving the economics of Flash streaming.
According to Streaming Media's editor, Eric Schumacher-Rasmussen, “The two biggest drawbacks to Flash Video are its lack of DRM and the cost of the Adobe Flash Media Server. We're still waiting on a solution to the former, but Wowza Media went a long way towards solving the latter with Wowza Media Server, which it introduced in late 2006.” He continues, “It's still in beta, but the word from those beta testers is nothing but positive.”
On February 19, 2007, Wowza announced general availability of the Wowza Media Server software. Beta user and Streaming Media reader Alan Caldwell of the consulting firm The SoftShop said, “Wowza addresses the most significant challenge our clients and we as a developer of Flash media solutions for Fortune 500 companies are facing: the poor economics of Flash streaming. We find that with [Wowza's] superior performance, flexibility, and features, Flash streaming can now effectively compete with Windows Media.”
“Streaming Media is the premier source for news and information about the streaming and digital media world,” said Dave Stubenvoll, CEO and co-founder of Wowza. “To be named one of their Top 10 companies to watch within days of announcing general availability of our Flash streaming server software is quite an honor.”
About the Wowza Media Server
The Wowza Media Server combines an innovative 64-bit architecture with rich functionality and high performance to enable interactive and entertaining Flash applications and content, including video on demand, live video distribution, video recoding and chat for a broad range of uses in entertainment, social media, advertising, enterprise, education, government, and Internet commerce. Its numerous advantages include:
- Small Business to Large-Scale Content Delivery: Wowza Media Server delivers superior economics across a wide range of deployments.
- Infrastructure Grade: Wowza Media Server is a tightly engineered, highly scalable Flash streaming server with exceptional stability and standards-based management capabilities.
- Support for More Platforms: Wowza Media Server operates on Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, Unix, Solaris or any other platform with the Java runtime environment.
- Full-featured: Wowza Media Server includes a number of unique features such as TiVo©-like fast-forward and rewind that lets viewers easily navigate pre-recorded video content.
- Unlimited Connections Support: Wowza Media Server Pro Unlimited edition provides the most economical solution for any environment with a large number of users, such as entertainment networks, social media services, hosting services and content delivery networks.
About Wowza Media Systems
Wowza Media Systems, a software company located in San Jose, CA, is a developer of interactive streaming media server software. Please visit Wowza Media Systems at www.wowza.com.
Wowza and related marks are trademarks of Wowza Media Systems.
Adobe and Flash are registered trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.