With Wowza ClearCaster™ appliances, you can broadcast to a wide variety of destinations including the Wowza Streaming Cloud service; a Wowza Streaming Engine instance; video-sharing websites such as Facebook, YouTube, Twitch, and Twitter; and other RTMP-based destinations. Pre-tuned encoding templates are provided for each destination option to provide the best experience possible.
This article describes how to access and use ClearCaster universal mode to stream to RTMP destinations.
Note: Wowza ClearCaster version 2.0.0.07 or later is required.
Create a broadcast in universal mode
Connect a video source to your Wowza ClearCaster
First, you must connect a video source to the ClearCaster appliance.
- Press the power button to turn on the ClearCaster appliance, and then verify the internet connection.
- Connect the video source to the ClearCaster appliance.
Create the broadcast
After connecting the video source, create your broadcast.
- Sign in to Wowza ClearCaster Manager at clearcaster.wowza.com with your Wowza account.
- Click on Broadcast in the menu bar, and then click Create Broadcast.
- In the Create Broadcast dialog, enter the following settings:
- Broadcast Name - Enter a name for the broadcast. We recommend a descriptive name, such as including the destination and output, so that it can easily be identified and managed on the Broadcast page.
- ClearCaster - Select the ClearCaster appliance registered to your Wowza account and in universal mode that you want to use for the broadcast.
- Destination - Select the destination to which you want to publish your broadcast. For a built-in destination, select General Single Target to stream to any RTMP destination, or select General Multiple Targets to stream to more than one destination at a time. Use one of the named destinations for encoding templates pre-tuned to the specific destination. Select Wowza Stream Name to stream to a Wowza Streaming Engine instance, Wowza Streaming Cloud for a direct integration with the Wowza Streaming Cloud service, or one of the video-sharing websites. You can also select Other if your broadcast requires special configurations such as IP input of various types or output with SRT or MPEG-TS. See About built-in Wowza ClearCaster universal mode destination and encoding options for more information.
- Encoding Template - Select one of the encoding templates that are pre-tuned specifically for your destination or special broadcast configuration. See About built-in Wowza ClearCaster universal mode destination and encoding options for more information.
Note: Depending on the information required by your destination and template selections, additional required fields may appear in the dialog.
- Server URL - Enter the protocol followed by the URL for your destination. For example, rtmp://mycompany.com/live/stream.
- Enter Server Authentication - If your destination requires source authentication, such as Wowza Streaming Engine by default, enter the user name and password.
- Stream Name/Key - Enter the name of the stream or the stream key value if needed by your destination.
- Record Broadcast - Check this box if you want to record this broadcast each time it goes live.
- Graphics - If you want to include graphics, select a built-in graphics package or select Custom and enter a graphics URL.
- Enable Engineering View - Check this box if you want to use the engineering view on your external monitor attached to the ClearCaster appliance to monitor the broadcast.
- Click Create Broadcast.
Enable or disable your broadcasts's output targets
To enable or disable the output destinations (targets) associated with your broadcast prior to going live or while live, use the toggle button next to the stream target name. When the toggle is green, the target is enabled and the stream will be delivered to that destination when the broadcast is live; when the toggle is gray, the target is disabled and won't receive your stream when the broadcast is live.
Go live with your broadcast
To publish a broadcast, find it in the list of broadcasts on the Broadcast page and click Go Live.
Mute your broadcast
To mute or unmute a live broadcast's audio, click the Audio button.
Stop your broadcast
To end a live broadcast, find it in the list of broadcasts on the Broadcast page and click Stop Broadcast. The broadcast will stop publishing to the destination, but it will remain visible on the Broadcast page for future use.
After you've stopped a broadcast, you can delete it to prevent it from being used in the future.
While a broadcast is live, some high-level monitoring information is available about the stream health on the Broadcast page. If you selected Enable engineering View when creating the broadcast, you'll also be able to see additional monitoring information available on the external monitor connected to your ClearCaster appliance. You can also click Monitor for a given broadcast to see more detailed stream health and performance data or click the Monitor tab in the menu bar.