Build redundancy into your production workflow by using more than one ClearCaster appliance in universal mode to deliver a live stream to a destination. If one ClearCaster appliance breaks or is disconnected from the destination, a second ClearCaster appliance can continue to supply the source video.
Note: Wowza ClearCaster version 2.0.0.07 or later is required.
Set up redundant ClearCaster appliances in universal mode
- Set up your primary ClearCaster appliance. Follow the equipment connection instructions in Wowza ClearCaster system requirements.
- Use the same instructions to set up an additional ClearCaster appliance to provide redundancy for the broadcast.
You can connect the redundant ClearCaster to the same source that provides video to the primary ClearCaster appliance (providing an exact copy of the stream) or to a different video source to provide an alternative perspective or different content altogether.
For true redundancy, the second ClearCaster appliance should use a different power supply and network connection from the primary appliance.
- Register both ClearCasters to your Wowza account. See Register Wowza ClearCaster with Wowza.
Create redundant broadcasts in Wowza ClearCaster Manager
- Go to Wowza ClearCaster Manager at universal.clearcaster.wowza.com, and ensure that the toggle at the top points to Universal mode.
- Click on Broadcasts in the menu bar, and then click + Create Broadcast.
- Set up a broadcast using your primary ClearCaster appliance. For Server URL, enter the primary ingest URL for your destination. For detailed instructions, see Create and manage Wowza ClearCaster broadcasts in universal mode.
- Click Create Broadcast to save the primary broadcast.
- Click + Create Broadcast to create a redundant broadcast.
- Set up the broadcast using your secondary ClearCaster appliance. For Server URL, enter the backup ingest URL for your destination.
- Click Create Broadcast to save the secondary broadcast.
When you click Go Live on both broadcasts, your destination receives a source stream from your primary ClearCaster appliance at the primary ingest URL and a backup stream from your secondary ClearCaster appliance at the backup ingest URL.
Note: ClearCaster appliances used in this redundant configuration aren't keyframe-aligned. However, they leverage the same Network Time Protocol (NTP) server using UTC time, and their RTMP streams have aligned timecodes.