You can use the Wowza ClearCaster™ appliance in Facebook mode as a video source for live streaming to Facebook Live with the Wowza Streaming Cloud™ service. This way, you can simultaneously broadcast (simulcast) your stream to Facebook and to a Wowza Streaming Cloud hosted webpage, a custom target, or a Wowza CDN edge resource. This article describes how to set up a live stream in Wowza Streaming Cloud that uses Wowza ClearCaster as its video source, enabling you to configure the ClearCaster to simulcast a live video stream to Facebook and Wowza Streaming Cloud.
- This workflow requires you to have a Wowza Streaming Cloud subscription in addition to a Wowza ClearCaster appliance. Vist the Wowza Streaming Cloud product page for information on the features and benefits of using Wowza Streaming Cloud.
- Simulcasting doesn't work with redundancy because individual simulcast targets can only be associated with a single ClearCaster.
Video Tutorial: Simulcast to Facebook, your website, and YouTube
Create a live stream in Wowza Streaming Cloud
To connect your ClearCaster appliance as a video source for Wowza Streaming Cloud, you first need to create a live stream and generate a connection code.
- Sign in to Wowza Streaming Cloud.
- Follow the steps in the Wowza Streaming Cloud getting started article to Add a live stream, making sure to do the following:
- When asked What is the name of your live stream?, enter a descriptive name. This name is displayed in Wowza ClearCaster Manager as the name of the simulcast target that your producer must select when configuring the broadcast to simulcast.
- When asked What camera or encoder will you use to connect to Wowza Streaming Cloud?, select Wowza ClearCaster.
- Copy the Connection Code on the Overview tab. You'll use this code with your ClearCaster so that it can communicate with Wowza Streaming Cloud.
Connect a Wowza ClearCaster appliance to Wowza Streaming Cloud
Next, you must use the Wowza Streaming Cloud live stream's connection code to add a simulcast target in Wowza ClearCaster Manager, and then configure a broadcast to use the simulcast target.
- Sign in to Wowza ClearCaster Manager at clearcaster.wowza.com, and ensure the toggle at the top points to Facebook mode.
- On the Simulcast page, enter the connection code for your Wowza Streaming Cloud live stream, and click Add Target.
- In the Target Added Successfully dialog, optionally select the checkbox to Send stream to Wowza Streaming Cloud during preview, and click OK to finish adding and configuring your simulcast target. Selecting this checkbox enables the Wowza Streaming Cloud live stream to receive and distribute the stream to other destinations for testing purposes before the broadcast is live on Facebook.
- Then, on the Broadcast page, create a new broadcast or edit an existing broadcast:
- To create a new broadcast, follow the instructions in Create a Wowza ClearCaster broadcast in Facebook mode to create a broadcast.
- If you'd like to add a simulcast target to an existing broadcast, find the broadcast in the list and click Edit.
- On the broadcast details page, under Simulcast, select the simulcast target to which you'd like to simultaneously broadcast the stream. (Note that the simulcast target has the same name as the live stream you created in Wowza Streaming Cloud.)
Your changes on the broadcast details page are saved automatically.
Start your broadcast
Finally, when you're ready to start your broadcast, you can start both instances of the broadcast from within Wowza ClearCaster Manager.
- In Wowza ClearCaster Manager, click on the Broadcasts tab, find your broadcast in the list, and click Edit.
- On the Simulcast tab, click started. This starts the Wowza Streaming Cloud live stream.
It may take a few minutes, but the started button will turn green when the target live stream is started.
Note: Alternatively, you can start the Wowza Streaming Cloud live stream by signing in to Wowza Streaming Cloud, going to the Live Streams page, selecting your live stream, and clicking Start Live Stream.
- On the broadcast details page, click Go Live. This will start streaming your broadcast to Facebook Live and Wowza Streaming Cloud simultaneously.
- Click View on Facebook to confirm that the live stream is visible and playing properly.
- (Optional) Use the following methods to monitor your live stream:
- To monitor statistics about the live stream broadcast, see Monitor Wowza ClearCaster live stream health in Facebook mode.
- To monitor viewer comments and emoji reactions on the Facebook stream, see Monitor the Wowza ClearCaster Live Stream.
- After a live stream is finished, finish the broadcast
Note: The output video from a ClearCaster appliance in Facebook mode has a bitrate of 8 Mbps. If you're delivering this stream to another destination via Wowza Streaming Cloud, you may want to transcode it to a lower bitrate. For more information about distributing live streams with Wowza Streaming Cloud, see Deliver Streams to Players and Targets.