BlueFrame Technology Achieves Cost-Effective Streaming at Scale With WowzaJuly 18, 2018
Case Study Snapshot
Live event broadcasting, streaming service provider
Production software and streaming services provider, primarily for sports client
|Wowza Streaming Engine, vCloud content management system
Production Truck (Recommended Equipment):
Powerful Products and Services Meet Ease of UseSports broadcasters rely on a number of features and integrations in order to communicate key information and enhance the experience for end viewers. Some of the features the BlueFrame platform supports include:
- Instant-replay capabilities.
- Graphics packages clients can use within live and on-demand broadcasts to customize colors, logos, messaging and more by team, as well as to provide a standardized look and feel across all the schools in an athletic conference or association.
- Data integrations, such as in-stream scoreboards that match the in-venue information, or crowdsourced statistics for individual as well as conference and association games.
- No need to copy and paste RTMP URLs.
- Automatically selects the appropriate configuration for their outbound bandwidth conditions.
- Eliminates the need to understand encoding parameters, codecs and streaming protocols.
- Connects client workflows to a content delivery network (CDN).
- Selects the appropriate streaming format for content.
- Provides players and portals that integrate with client websites.
- Offers native applications for mobile devices and smart TVs.
- Allows clients to monetize live streams by implementing and configuring a paywall; providing the technology to display ads; and/or by bringing ad markets to the client’s content.
Enabling High-Quality Delivery to Any DeviceNot only must the products and services BlueFrame offers support robust streaming capabilities, they must also be able to deliver them seamlessly to a wide range of destinations. This requires media server software that can ingest, process and deliver content for any platform and device—which is where Wowza Streaming Engine comes in. Whether the client is using a free, software-based encoder or broadcast-quality hardware at the venue, a Wowza Streaming Engine software instance running in the cloud can:
- Ingest a single source stream while minimizing upload bandwidth.
- Transcode streams for high-quality delivery to any user at their optimum bandwidth.
- Adaptively deliver those streams at scale to any internet-connected media player or device.
BlueFrame and Wowza: Cost-Effective Streaming at ScaleKant describes another benefit of using GPU acceleration in Wowza Streaming Engine. By helping BlueFrame use resources more effectively, it reduces the need for the number of both Wowza Streaming Engine and server licenses—making it more cost-effective to run their services, and pass these savings along to their clients. BlueFrame was in a unique position when the company was founded, Kant says, because he and his partners bought the technology from another organization that went out of business. When they took over, the infrastructure of the technology was already running on Wowza Streaming Engine. Kant and his partners figured: If it ain’t broke, why fix it? Many existing clients were already using the streaming service, Kant says, so when BlueFrame launched, they focused sales and marketing efforts largely on this service, as well as on helping organizations create networks. This is a common practice during athletic conferences and season championships, when multiple schools, associations and other content creators will aggregate their broadcasts into a single network or platform. The ability to host multiple users on the same network has allowed BlueFrame to easily and affordably scale streaming along with a growing user base, which has almost tripled in just a few years. “We have continued to use Wowza [because] it’s really a good fit from a scalability standpoint for our business,” Kant says. “It made it very cost-effective for us to run our service. And even as we scaled up to hundreds of clients, we’ve been able to take advantage of the pricing model of Wowza to scale with us.”
BlueFrame and Wowza: Future-Ready Streaming TechnologyBy building on Wowza Streaming Engine and taking advantage of capabilities such as SRT integration and GPU acceleration, BlueFrame has realized the following benefits:
- All-conditions broadcasting, offering reliable, high-resolution streaming even for clients in low-bandwidth or poor-quality network conditions.
- The ability to create digital broadcast networks for streaming-service clients, aggregating multiple clients (e.g., schools) on a single platform. This provides a common destination and branding for athletic conferences or associations, while saving on local bandwidth, video processing and delivery costs.
- Low barriers to entry through the Wowza pricing model, allowing BlueFrame to scale cost-effectively and pass savings on to clients.
- Products and services that are feature-rich and robust enough for various networking and infrastructure scenarios, while also being easy to use for clients who are not streaming experts.
- Higher frame rates and better audio and video quality, while also saving on compute resources.