Why Your Streaming Solution Must Be Flexible
Over the past year, my team has worked with global event agencies transforming how they operate, manufacturing innovators designing the future of tele-welding, and healthcare leaders powering real-time decision-making with virtual reality.
Some of these organizations needed robust security. Others were challenged to deliver high-bandwidth content. Low-latency streaming was also a frequent need — and the right low-latency technology for one organization wasn’t always a good fit for another.
The only requirement that came standard across every company we partnered with was the need for a flexible streaming platform.
Video now powers businesses in every niche, which is why prescriptive streaming workflows and rigid technologies no longer do the trick. Why let your streaming provider impose limits? One of the main reasons companies choose Wowza is our ability to provide customizable, feature-rich video solutions.
Some of the ways we’ve designed our streaming platform to adapt to any need include:
- Protocol flexibility: It’s crucial to architect a workflow that uses the best streaming protocols at ingest and delivery (depending on your specific requirements). Protocol flexibility allows content distributors to reduce latency, increase playback compatibility, and even address the challenges of remote video contribution.
- No restrictions of quality: When streaming surveillance footage via a traffic cam, quality isn’t always a priority. But for high-stakes sporting events and virtual reality (VR) experiences, it’s a game-changer. At Wowza, we don’t impose any limits on bitrate or framerate, so you can stream however you’d like. Our platform also supports 4K, 8k, and 360° streaming.
- Easy to build: Our comprehensive APIs and SDKs enable you to quickly build your streaming solution on top of Wowza technology and take advantage of advanced features.
- Broad security controls: Revenue is underpinned by content security. What’s more, when video is being used for non-entertainment purposes — such as for internal corporate conferences or healthcare — protecting sensitive data is mandatory. Authentication, encryption, token authorization, and digital rights management (DRM) are all important technologies, and we offer the freedom to pick and choose what’s best for your workflow.
- Low latency: Low latency is a relative term, with some content distributors requiring real-time delivery and others happy with sub-ten-second streaming. The specific technology used to achieve this can also impact reliability and scale, which is why we offer a wide range of low-latency options to accommodate different use cases.
- Scale: Deployed in more than 170 countries worldwide, our streaming platform delivers content to any-size audience, anywhere. You can be confident viewers will enjoy a reliable experience whether they’re in New York, New Delhi, or Timbuktu.
- Live and video on demand (VOD): Wowza combines a 15-years focus on live video with continuous platform enhancements to power VOD. We’re trusted by live event broadcasters and enterprise video platforms alike, supporting everything from interactivity to live-to-VOD and recording.
- Additional tools: Advanced features for captioning, two-way chat, ad insertion, multi-lingual audio, and VR 360° streaming might also be required. Whether achieved through seamless integration with third-party tools or professional engineering services, we’ve got you covered.
For more information on how we compare to other streaming services, check out this table.
Learn Why 35,000 Organizations Have Powered Their Streaming With Wowza
By building with Wowza, you’re able to choose your own adventure. We offer flexible a video platform to adapt to your changing needs. Plus, our Professional Services team can help accelerate time to value and help you realize business success quickly.
Hear What Our Customers Have to Say
“Wowza is a preferred partner that we’ve relied on to power our video technologies for over a decade, and we’re excited about the new capabilities they’ve brought to market with the release of Wowza Video. The user interface and new stream monitoring page are very nice, very clean. And for someone who wants to do live streaming plus their own front end for a video offering, the API is strong and makes total sense. ”Patrick Freeman, digital media systems administrator at JTV
“The Wowza Video solution that we were already using on our OTT product went one step further with DRM technology. In a matter of days, we were supporting DRM on live streams, both on HLS and MPEG-DASH, in all major browsers, mobile devices, and TV apps. Thanks to Wowza and EZDRM, we are now able to provide an engaging, interactive and secure environment — whether delivering live or VOD content.”Pedro Centieiro, COO of Magycal
“We engaged with Wowza’s Professional Services group to support low-latency streaming to thousands of attendees with in-player language selection for eleven simultaneous translations and multiple live stenographer captioning options. With no comparable existing service, we collaborated with Wowza to deliver an interactive experience to union delegates across the country, allowing users to conduct their business virtually during the height of the pandemic using a new custom-built web platform. Almost a full year later, Freeman continues to offer services to many of the largest unions in the United States utilizing our Online Parliamentary Tool.”Felipe Giannazzo, media solutions designer at Freeman
Search Wowza Resources
About Barry Owen
Barry Owen is Wowza’s resident video streaming expert and vice president of solutions engineering. In this role, he leads a team dedicated to helping customers succeed. From architecting custom applications to solving complex problems, Barry leverages more than 25 years of experience developing software-as-a-service, cloud-based, and live streaming platforms to create innovative solutions that empower organizations across every use case.