The Wowza Video Player leverages a robust, industry standard player that provides HTML5, HLS, and MPEG-DASH playback and plays streams on any browser and device through either a Wowza Video hosted page or your own site. You can customize the player when you embed it in your site to maintain, for example, your own branding across all digital properties.
The Wowza Video Player is the default player included with a Wowza Video subscription. You're a subscriber if you have access to Asset Management and Historic and Live Analytics in the Wowza Video user interface.
This article explains how to embed and customize the Wowza Video Player in your site.
Before you start
You should complete the following tasks:
- Create a live stream with Wowza Video Player specified as the player for the stream. View our Get Started with Wowza Video topic to learn how to create a live stream.
You should have access to the following items:
- A Wowza Video account or a free trial account with a Wowza Video subscription.
- A video source (camera or encoder).
After you've created a live stream, embed the player into your site.
- In Wowza Video, click Available Streams.
- Select the stream from the list.
- Copy the Player Embed Code on the Live Stream Details page.
- Paste the code into your webpage.
Next, you can customize the player to support your viewers, use cases, or branding.
2. Customize the Wowza Video Player
The player is optimized for browsers, mobile devices, and tablets. The default UI includes:
- Basic video player controls and functionality
Some of the customizations you can make to the player's default UI include:
Note: Because Wowza Video Player is built using THEOPlayer, the following links go to THEOPlayer's product documentation.
- Changing colors.
- Hiding a default control like the full screen button.
- Inserting a new button like two time-jump buttons to the control bar: one to go back 10 seconds in time and one to go forward 10 seconds in time.
- Disabling the ability to pause the video.
These are only a few of the possibilities for customization. Explore more Wowza Video Player customization possibilities.
3. Test your customizations
Start your live stream (both the encoder and in Wowza Video), and make sure it's playing as expected on your site.