Learn how to use the Wowza Streaming Cloud™ service to send an encoded stream to an ultra low latency stream target for playback with Wowza Player.
Note: Ultra low latency streaming is available through Wowza Streaming Cloud with Ultra Low Latency. For additional information see About ultra low latency streaming with Wowza Streaming Cloud. To get started with ultra low latency streaming using the Wowza Streaming Cloud REST API, see Get started with ultra low latency streaming using the Wowza Streaming Cloud REST API.
Video Tutorial: Getting Started with Streaming Using Wowza Streaming Cloud with Ultra Low Latency
You can sign in to Wowza Streaming Cloud by using any modern web browser that supports HTML5 and Cascading Style Sheets level 3 (CSS 3). The Wowza Streaming Cloud user interface has been most extensively tested on Google Chrome, however, so for best results we recommend that you use the latest version of Google Chrome.
- Do one of the following:
- Click Launch Wowza Streaming Cloud when you complete your purchase in the Wowza portal.
- Go to cloud.wowza.com.
Sign in using your Wowza credentials.
Welcome to Wowza Streaming Cloud.
Note: For information on the Wowza Streaming Cloud free trial and its feature limitations, see Wowza Streaming Cloud free trial.
To get started with an ultra low latency stream, add a stream target.
- Click Advanced on the menu bar, and then click Stream Targets.
- Click Add Target, select Wowza CDN - Ultra Low Latency, and then click Add.
- On the Add a Wowza CDN - ULL target page, specify the following:
- Target Name – A short, descriptive identifier for the target that differentiates it from other targets in Wowza Streaming Cloud. A Target Name is required, doesn't have to be unique, and can't exceed 255 characters.
- Source Delivery Method – Select Push for the source to push the stream to the target.
- Apple HLS Playback Stream – (Optional) Select Enable HLS Fallback Stream to create an Apple HLS playback URL that can be used to view the stream on mobile devices or to provide redundancy in the event that WebSocket connection attempts fail.
- Enabled? – Select Enable this target to allow the source stream to be immediately ingested by the target's origin server.
- Click Add.
Wowza Streaming Cloud generates an ultra low latency target and displays the target detail page, which shows the target's Connection Code and Primary URL, which you can use to connect the source to the target. It also shows Playback URLs for ultra low latency playback and (if enabled) fallback to HLS.
Use the details of the ultra low latency stream target to configure the Wowza GoCoder™ mobile app as your video source.
The easiest connection method is using the connection code available on the ultra low latency stream target details page in Wowza Streaming Cloud.
If your connection code has been used or is expired, click Regenerate Connection Code to get a new one.
For GoCoder for iOS 2.0.5 or later
If you're using the current version of the GoCoder app for iOS, enter the target's connection code in the app to use the app as the source for your live stream.
- Tap the Connect icon (the Wowza gear).
- In the Connect To menu, tap Wowza Streaming Cloud.
- For Connection Code, enter the Wowza Streaming Cloud ultra low latency stream target's connection code, for example, 24cedc.
- Tap Done.
If you're using an older version of the GoCoder app for iOS or the Android version of the app, parse the connection details from the ultra low latency stream target's primary URL into the host domain, port, application name, and stream name.
This connection method is also useful for troubleshooting a connection with a connection code that isn't working as expected.
- Tap the Connect icon (the Wowza gear).
- In the Connect To menu, tap Wowza Streaming Engine. (When connecting manually, it's correct to use the Wowza Streaming Engine settings for a Wowza Streaming Cloud target.)
- Tap Host.
- For Server, enter the target's host domain, which is origin.cdn.wowza.com.
- For Port, enter 1935.
- Tap Back and then tap Application.
- For Application enter live.
- For Stream Name enter the alphanumeric stream name from the ultra low latency target, for example, 0I1q1UHJEN1q84NA2gvuuywllGwn5f4e.
- Tap Back and then tap Source Authentication.
- Make sure Source Username and Source Password are empty.
- Tap Done.
Note: You can send an ultra low latency stream to Wowza Streaming Cloud using a number of different sources. See these articles for more information:
- Connect an RTMP encoder to Wowza Streaming Cloud with Ultra Low Latency
- Connect an RTSP encoder to Wowza Streaming Cloud with Ultra Low Latency
- Build a basic app with GoCoder SDK for iOS
- Configure a broadcast with GoCoder SDK for iOS
- Build a basic app with GoCoder SDK for Android
- Configure a broadcast with GoCoder SDK for Android
- How to send a stream from Wowza Streaming Engine to an ultra low latency stream target in Wowza Streaming Cloud
To quickly test playback functionality, use Wowza Player Builder for Ultra Low Latency to preview the stream. Wowza Player for Ultra Low Latency works with the latest version of most modern web browsers such as Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Microsoft Edge.
Note: Wowza Player for Ultra Low Latency currently supports HLS streams only for browser-based playback on iOS devices. HLS streams have higher latency than ultra low latency streams. For ultra low latency stream playback on iOS devices, see Play an ultra low latency stream with Wowza GoCoder SDK for iOS.
Navigate to the Wowza Player Builder for Ultra Low Latency from within the Wowza Streaming Cloud web manager.
- In Wowza Streaming Cloud, click Advanced on the menu bar, and then click Stream Targets.
- Select your ultra low latency target on the Stream Targets page.
- Click Test player for Wowza ultra low latency targets to launch Wowza Player for Ultra Low Latency with prepopulated fields for License Key, Stream Source, and (if you enabled HLS) Backup Stream Source.
- Optionally enter a Title and Description that will appear on the player, and adjust the player Size options if desired.
- Click Player Options, and then select or edit any of the Playback Options and add a video poster image if desired.
- Click Update Preview.
For more configuration options and instructions on how to embed Wowza Player for Ultra Low Latency into a webpage, see Configure Wowza Player for Wowza Streaming Cloud ultra low latency streams.
Note: You can also use the GoCoder SDK to develop an app with ultra low latency playback functionality. For more information, see these articles:
- In the Wowza GoCoder mobile app, start sending video.
- In Wowza Player Builder, click the Play button in the player preview to see your test stream.
If you have trouble sending a stream through the GoCoder app, check the settings in the Connect the GoCoder app manually section. You also may need to regenerate a connection code. You can do this in the stream target details page in Wowza Streaming Cloud web manager.