Learn how to speed up the connection between a source encoder and a transcoder or live stream in Wowza Streaming Cloud™.
When you configure an encoder to push video to the Wowza Streaming Cloud service, you enter a host server location in the encoder settings in the form of a URL. If you use a connection code, entering the code into your encoder automatically configures the host server URL and other configuration settings. After starting the connection between the encoder and the transcoder or live stream, there may be a delay of up to 10 seconds while a DNS server looks up the URL of the host server and resolves it to an IP address. You can remove this delay by identifying the IP address of the transcoder's host server and then entering the IP address into the encoder settings directly.
Create a live stream with a push connection
- Sign in to Wowza Streaming Cloud.
- Click the Live Streams menu, and then click Add Live Stream.
- On the Live Stream Setup page, enter a Live Stream Name, choose a Broadcast Location, and then click Next.
- On the Video Source and Transcoder Settings page, select the camera or encoder you want to use to connect to Wowza Streaming Cloud.
- Select Push Stream so your encoder will push the stream to Wowza Streaming Cloud.
- Select Push directly to Wowza Streaming Cloud to send the stream to the transcoder at the live stream's Broadcast Location.
- Specify other video source settings, and make sure to select the same Aspect Ratio that you use in your encoder.
- Click Next, and complete the steps to finish creating the live stream. For more information about live stream settings, see the Help panel on the right side of each page.
Wowza Streaming Cloud creates the live stream and displays the Overview tab of the live stream detail page. Next, see Start the live stream or transcoder.
Create a transcoder with a push connection
- Sign in to Wowza Streaming Cloud.
- Click Advanced on the menu bar, click Transcoders, and then click Add Transcoder.
- On the Transcoder Setup page, enter a descriptive Transcoder Name.
- Subscription plans that support passthrough streaming require that you specify a Transcoder Type. For all other subscription plans, transcoders are adaptive bitrate.
For Transcoder Type, choose Adaptive bitrate or Passthrough, depending on your streaming needs and subscription plan. Then choose a Billing Mode.
Note: The Transcoder Type and Billing Mode can't be changed after the transcoder is created.
- Select a Broadcast Location that's as close as possible to where your stream will originate, select whether or not you want to record the stream as it passes through the transcoder, and select a Source Protocol.
- For Source Delivery Method, select Push to Wowza Streaming Cloud to send the stream to the transcoder at its Broadcast Location.
- Specify other transcoder setup options. For more information on the options, see the Help panel on the right side of the page.
- Click Add.
Wowza Streaming Cloud creates the transcoder and displays the Outputs & Targets tab of the transcoder detail page.
- Complete the transcoder by adding output renditions and stream targets. For instructions, see one of the following articles, depending on whether you're creating an adaptive bitrate or passthrough transcoder:
Next, see Start the live stream or transcoder.
Start the live stream or transcoder
The IP address of the transcoder is 0.0.0.0 (local host) until it is started. In order to identify the IP address, start the live stream or transcoder.
- In Wowza Streaming Cloud, select the live stream or transcoder.
- Click Start Live Stream at the top of the live stream detail page, or click Start Transcoder at the top of the transcoder detail page.
- Click Start to confirm that you want to start the stream.
Identify the IP address of the host server
Next, identify the IP address for the started stream.
For a live stream
In the Video Source and Transcoder tab of the live stream, under Source Connection Information, note the IP address that appears next to the Primary Server value.
For a transcoder
In the Transcoder Setup tab of the transcoder, note the IP address that appears next to the Host Server value.
Enter the IP address in the encoder settings
In the encoder settings, enter the IP address instead of the host server or primary server URL to configure the host server. Refer to the documentation for your encoder to note how to access and update its setttings.
For example, enter 22.214.171.124 instead of [host_name].entrypoint.cloud.wowza.com.
Connect the encoder
Start your camera and source encoder. The encoder connects to the transcoder using the IP address you specified without a delay due to DNS lookup.
Note: Each time the live stream or transcoder starts, the IP address is likely to be different. You must update your source encoder settings after each start if you choose to connect using the IP address instead of the host name URL.