To turn on enhanced seeking for RTMP Flash-based playback of your on-demand media files, you can add the seekTarget property to your application configuration. Use this property when seeking to a precise location is needed. The Wowza media server will calculate the exact location and start playback from that point in time.
The Wowza media server built-in default configuration has this property set to videoKeyFrame. With this setting, the media server will use the closest previous keyframe for the playback starting point. This setting will satisfy most workflows. Set the property to audio for enhanced seeking of audio files. Enhanced seek will require more bandwidth.
Wowza Streaming Engine Manager configuration
- In Wowza Streaming Engine Manager, click the Applications tab and then click the name of your on-demand application (such as vod) in the contents panel.
- On the application page Properties tab, click Custom in the Quick Links bar.
- In the Custom area, click Edit.
- Click Add Custom Property, specify the following settings in the Add Custom Property dialog box, and then click Add:
- Path - Select /Root/Application/Streams.
- Name - Enter seekTarget.
- Type - Select String.
- Value - Enter videoKeyFrame, audio, or enhanced.
- Click Save, and then restart the live application to apply the changes.
Use a text editor to add the property to the <Streams>/<Properties> section in [install-dir]/conf/[application]/Application.xml for your on-demand application.
<Property> <!-- valid values are: videoKeyFrame, audio, enhanced //DEFAULT = videoKeyFrame --> <Name>seekTarget</Name> <Value>videoKeyFrame</Value> <Type>String</Type> </Property>
If you're having problems or want to discuss this article, post in our forum.