To turn on enhanced seeking for RTMP Flash-based playback of video-on-demand (VOD) files from Wowza Streaming Engine™ media server software, add the seekTarget property to your application. Use this property when seeking to a precise location is needed. Wowza Streaming Engine calculates the exact location and start playback from that point in time.
By default, Wowza Streaming Engine sets the seekTarget property to videoKeyFrame. With this value, Wowza Streaming Engine uses the closest previous keyframe for the playback starting point. This value satisfies most workflows. Set the property to audio for enhanced seeking of audio files. Enhanced seek requires more bandwidth.
Set the seekTarget property in Wowza Streaming Engine Manager
- Click the Applications tab at the top of the page and then click the name of your VOD application (such as vod) in the contents panel.
- On the application page Properties tab, click Custom in the Quick Links bar.
- In the Custom area, click Edit.
- Click Add Custom Property, specify the following settings in the Add Custom Property dialog box, and then click Add:
- Path - Select /Root/Application/Streams.
- Name - Enter seekTarget.
- Type - Select String.
- Value - Enter videoKeyFrame, audio, or enhanced.
- Click Save, and then restart the live application to apply the changes.
Configure the seekTarget property in XML
Use a text editor to add the property to the <Streams>/<Properties> section in [install-dir]/conf/[application]/Application.xml for your VOD application.
<Property> <!-- valid values are: videoKeyFrame, audio, enhanced //DEFAULT = videoKeyFrame --> <Name>seekTarget</Name> <Value>videoKeyFrame</Value> <Type>String</Type> </Property>